Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS mis-reporting RAM frequency

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

Hello BIGEYE, the BIOS is reporting the memory frequency as 2133 MHz. The RAM I have installed is 3000 MHz.  2133MHz is the SPD of the RAM and for it to function at a higher rat... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have just finished building my nice shiny new pc. However, the BIOS is reporting the memory frequency as 2133 MHz. The RAM I have installed is 3000 MHz. Here's the hardware I'm using:

• Motherboard is a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
  • CPU AMD Rysen 7 2700x
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000, and installed in slots 1 & 3 on mobo.

I think I am interpreting the BIOS correctly. Appreciate if anyone can advise on how to fix and get the RAM running at the correct frequency.

TIA

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello BIGEYE,

the BIOS is reporting the memory frequency as 2133 MHz. The RAM I have installed is 3000 MHz.

2133MHz is the SPD of the RAM and for it to function at a higher rate you need to OC it, SPD explained here

Appreciate if anyone can advise on how to fix and get the RAM running at the correct frequency.

As above, I do not OC so cannot give you any tips based on experience I`m afraid, anything in the MB user manual on OCing?

Please note that DDR4-2933 is the max compatible with your CPU.

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Sorted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup: