Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file missing from USB

Best Answer asus78 , 12 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

Ok, thanks for trying. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

asus78

asus78

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello,

I have a strange problem. So, my dad was working on a doc file on his usb and when he tried to save it Word gave him "somekind" of message. He clicked ok and the file went missing.

Now, I have no idea what the message was and neither does he since he doesn't understand English.

I tried data recovery tools but neither found the file.

Do any of you have an idea what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   asus78,

Was it just the one file that went missing or was the USB device empty when you checked it with the recovery tools.

asus78

asus78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

No, everything is ok with the rest of the device. Other files are there, recovery software found other on purpose deleted files but only this one is missing. Like it never existed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Only logical explanation is that the file itself was deleted, long shot but did you check the Windows Recycle Bin to see if the file was in there.

asus78

asus78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeah, there is no sign of it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ouch, Recuva and Linux are what I suggest when looking for lost data or trying to rescue data from flaky devices, if neither works, other than rather expensive data recovery services there is nothing else to try I`m afraid.

asus78

asus78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ok, thanks for trying. :yes:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome asus78, sorry we couldn't provide you with an explanation as to what could have happened  :(