Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing NIC

Best Answer phillpower2 , 27 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

For luetooth, it keeps telling me there are unauthorized devices on the system.  Sounds like a compatibility issue rather than drivers, the rather poorly worded note at Newegg goes some w... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

There seems to be a problem with your link.

Advertisements

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Try this one.

https://www.amazon.c...ctronics&sr=1-3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello tjmcs,

I would have to say no and for the following reason, when you boot up a modern notebook the BIOS will look and check for a wireless device as a minimum, the BIOS chip will have mapped on it the drivers that are required for all native devices and if everything checks out ok the notebook will boot and everything will work, the BIOS on your notebook has default wireless drivers as does Windows when it loads but neither will have drivers for a device that is not recognised by default, I hope that this makes sense  :headscratch:

Try as I might I could not find any dual Wi-Fi - BT card for any notebook let alone yours, scant consolation but I did find the following explanation on an ASUS forum as to why such third party cards will not work.

Physically upgrading a WiFi card is not always all there is to upgrading a laptop. There is the possibility that your laptop manufacturer has a "white list" of devices buried in BIOS that will prevent unauthorized cards from functioning. It's a nuisance, but something you may end up dealing with. You can probably return the card if it doesn't work after installation, but it may save some hassle if you contact customer support for your particular laptop.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Phillpower2, you have helped me with my problem. I need to leave this notebook alone.

I have reinstalled the original wifi card and just noticed something. Maybe this is how I got confussed on my first post. The original card is an AzureWave AW-NE139H. it is showing up in Device Manager and in HWiNFO64 as a Quallcom/Atheros AW8151. Stranger, when I talked to Asus (emailed) after I bought this thing, they told me it did not have Win 7 installed, even though the Microsoft sticker said it did and that was the OS it booted into.I'm leaving this notebook alone as I don't know what I have and am not that computer savy. It works for what I need.

Thank you.

tjmcs

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Identification problem resolved itself. Asus problem remains. Notebook works, I am leaving it alone.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome tjmcs and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: