Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After booting into Linux on USB, keyboard and mouse won't work

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

curs-edtech

curs-edtech

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I work at a very small office and we have some pretty old dell PC's. A while ago, my PC stopped working [Automatic Repair loop]. We have an IT guy, but he had just gone on vacation. I really needed a file off my computer that I had foolishly saved to my desktop and not the server, so after some googling, I used a USB to download Linux and successfully got the file onto the USB. 

My problem comes in that I used my supervisor's computer to boot into Linux again to transfer the file onto my account on her computer (with her permission). That went fine. I turned off the computer, removed the USB, turned it back on, and got to the login screen only to discover that the computer wouldn't register my keyboard and mouse (USB connected). I tried every other USB port, and no dice.

Is there a reason this would happen? A step I skipped or something? Now this computer is defunct, and I still don't have the file in hand. I'm thinking of trying to get it on my personal laptop (when I detailed what I would be trying to my supervisor, she okay'ed it and told me to use her computer and not my laptop in the first place, in case it went poorly ... which it did) but I really don't want to just do the same thing again and end up breaking my laptop, if there's something obvious that I just don't know about.

Thanks for your help. :(

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

see if this works on your supervisors computer to get the keyboard an mouse working.

Turn off PC and disconnect the power cable. Put the cable back in and start the PC. See if the keyboard an mouse work now.