Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Monitor, Mouse, & Keyboard

Best Answer Quartz , 04 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

Thank you very much for your time, effort, & information.  My opinion at this point is that it is the MB, especially considering that neither the video card and the onboard graphics work.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Try removing all RAM and using the appropriate video port on the MB, if you get either two or three beeps the issue is graphics related.

Update:  I found compatible RAM & installed with the other Ram.  Same problems, but no beeps when booting.

Your reply #32, the fact that you got no error beeps when the RAM was in the board would normally suggest that things were ok with the power on self test (POST) up to the point that the graphics solution had been checked, this the reason why we needed to know if the add on GPU was present or if the integrated graphics were connected.

0 beep with the RAM in the board = either a bad MB or bad MB.

1 beep = the hardware has passed the POST.

2 or 3 beeps = memory issues, this may also include any memory that the graphics solution relies on for support.

Mind if I ask, why the need to type in large blue text.

Advertisements

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

No ram, monitor plugged into MB, no beeps.  Reply #32:  Ram in, monitor plugged into MB, video card removed....no beeps.

Sorry about the text...shows up normal on this end.

I can't think of anything I haven't tried.  

Edited by Quartz, 18 July 2019 - 11:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
No ram, monitor plugged into MB, no beeps.  Reply #32:  Ram in, monitor plugged into MB, video card removed....no beeps.

Not good news I`m afraid  :(

Highest failure rates are as follow PSU, MB, CPU, if it were the PSU the system would not power up and the fact that it does and is able to power the cooling fans etc suggests that there is enough juice being produced to power the CPU and onboard graphics, no error beeps with the RAM removed from the board suggests that it is the MB and being that MBs are more prone to failure than CPUs it does again point more to a bad MB.

Inspect the MB to see if there are any bad caps, to help with what to look for, see here

Something that i would suggest you do if you can, make sure that your screen is working ok by hooking something else up to it, a notebook type computer etc will do.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I have never installed a MB & CPU.  Think I should try it?   Any suggestions of MB & CPU to buy?

I can't complain.  This has been a great PC & easy to work on up to this point.  I think it was built in 2012, & it has beat every HP & DELL that I've owned.  

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Quartz, 18 July 2019 - 01:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Quartz,

Any chance that you can get back to us regarding the other two points that I mentioned in my reply #37.

Before purchasing a new MB and CPU I would suggest that you have your computer checked out closer to home by a suitably qualified tech, you may find that the cost of a new PC is less than it would cost for repairing the present system.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Evidently, my posts are numbered differently. The highest # I show 35.   I have inspected every centimeter of the MB & I can't see anything wrong with it.  Today, I removed the PSU & tested it with a multimeter & it is fine.  Of course, it wasn't under a load. 

The last 3-4 times I booted the PC, there were no beeps for any combination I tried. The thing that didn't alert at the time is that the power button would no longer turn off the PC & the reset button does not work, along with the led lights.  I located where they are connected on the MB but I can't find connectors online like mine. One is plugged into the other & then connected at `JFP1.  What would cause the button failure & would this cause the PC not to beep?

EDIT:  I forgot to add this.  I have some flash drives that light up.  When I connected 2 of them to the PC, they lit up like they normally do.  Not sure if it they were being read since I have no display. 

Edited by Quartz, 19 July 2019 - 02:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Good call on checking the PSU with a multi-meter, you are correct in that it is not under any load but if the voltages were within tolerance you would normally expect it to power the computer to the desktop, there is a "but" here regarding the PSU and the MB which we will cover in reply to your second point.

The last 3-4 times I booted the PC, there were no beeps for any combination I tried. The thing that didn't alert at the time is that the power button would no longer turn off the PC & the reset button does not work, along with the led lights.  I located where they are connected on the MB but I can't find connectors online like mine. One is plugged into the other & then connected at `JFP1.  What would cause the button failure & would this cause the PC not to beep?

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a dual lead from the computer case, if correct, one is for JFP1 and the other for the JFP2 header that is along side JFP1,it appears to have become disconnected somehow, test for you addressing the connector issue, with the computer disconnected from the wall socket, press the case power button for 20 seconds or so, ground yourself on the computer case or PSU, disconnect the connector from JFP1, reconnect the computer to the wall socket so that there is power going to the computer, then short out the two pins on the MB as shown in the attachment included below.

The USB devices lighting up means that there is power going through the MB

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I could not find this same type of connector online.  Only connects to JFP1.  I wonder if I did something while troubleshooting that made this no longer work.  It was still connected to the MB when it quit working.  Do I short out 6 & 8 as shown on chart you posted?  I don't want risk causing more problems by shorting out the wrong ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• GEEKS 1.JPG

Edited by Quartz, 20 July 2019 - 04:07 PM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I am not sure if I know which cable connects to the back of the front panel.

Attached Thumbnails

• GEEKS 33.JPG

Edited by Quartz, 20 July 2019 - 05:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, working seven days a week leaving little to no time for the forum atm  :(

Yes you short out the pins numbered as 6 + and 8 - as is shown in the attachment that was included, perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else.

Not sure why you have removed the front panel from the computer, like the JFP1 connector the JFP2 header that is along side JFP1 should be inside the case, if unsure, can you upload a picture of the whole inside of the case, predominantly around the JFP1 and JFP2 headers on the MB, there should be a another connector there somewhere for the onboard speaker etc.

Advertisements

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you also.  Had to go out of town unexpectedly for a few days.  The short worked...turned on PC. 

Power button still won't turn off the PC & the led lights for power & reset are still not working.  This is why I included a pic of panel, in case I need to do something there, or get new cables.  There is no cable/connection for the speaker.  

Edited by Quartz, 30 July 2019 - 12:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No worries about the delay, we all have other things to attend to so understand  :thumbsup:

The short worked...turned on PC.

Does the above mean that you had the computer running and booting into Windows etc.

Will come back to the power/reset LEDs etc when we know the answer to the above but fwiw no speaker cable means that the beeps that you have previously heard have come from a factory fitted speaker on the MB itself, something that is not very common these days.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Since the monitor doesn't work, I can't tell what is going on.  I did find an older keyboard with the PS/2 connector.  When I boot the PC the keyboard light comes on but the caps & num lock will not light up.

I was just curious why the power button quit turning PC off & why the LED lights for HD & Reset no longer work & the beeps went away.  I found a photo of my MB from a few months ago & there wasn't anything plugged into JFP2, & I don't have cables with a connector for JFP2.  How would I locate the factory fitted speaker?  

My MOBO has Realtek ALC887 audio chip.

Edited by Quartz, 03 August 2019 - 03:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Had to ask ask as "The short worked...turned on PC." didn`t tell us one way or another i`m afraid.

I was just curious why the power button quit turning PC off & why the LED lights for HD & Reset no longer work & the beeps went away.

Normally suggests MB failure as were it the CPU the power/reset buttons, LEDs and the BIOS speaker would work.

Had you not previously checked the PSU with a multi meter the PSU could still have been a suspect so at this point I can only again suggest that you have a local tech take a look for you, they will have a spare PSU that they can use to confirm that it is not a power supply problem, different parts of the MB are powered by different rails on a PSU and what you describe suggests that a circuit on the MB has failed.

Using the My PC has MSI A75MA-G55 Motherboard info from your OP,  checked the homepage and have included an attachment below showing the onboard BIOS speaker which btw is independent of the Realtek audio chip.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you very much for your time, effort, & information.  My opinion at this point is that it is the MB, especially considering that neither the video card and the onboard graphics work.  I will let you know what I find out when I locate someone who can work on it.  

Edited by Quartz, 04 August 2019 - 11:29 AM.