Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1/2 comps kills net connection wen connected!

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got two comps on my network. One alienware and another compaq. The alienware is rather new but the compaq is really old. Compaq came with Windows 98SE. I had a lot of times when i got "system protection error" and the computer refused to boot so i got fed up and today installed Windows XP Home, doing a complete new install, formatted the enitre hard disk first.
Now when i connect the compaq onto the network (i have a router with built in modem) the internet connection gets cut off. If i switch the compaq computer off or disconnect it from the network/router then the internet starts working again. When the compaq is connected no other computer on the network can even access the internet. Is there any way of solving this? Or does anyone know the cause of this? Only the internet stops working when the compaq is connected however files can still be shared between the comps.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
That almost sounds like you have an IP conflict. Is the IP address on the compaq set to DHCP or Obtain automatically?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi...thanks for your help...i found the answer to it....it was a virus, don't know which one but yes it was a virus...i was unable to install norton or mcafee and ended up formatting my computer which wasn't too much of a hassle as i had only that day installed windows xp. thanks neway oh btw it was not a ip conflict, i made sure they both were unique, that was the first thing i checked.