Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing a built-in Ethernet jack with a NIC

Best Answer SleepyDude , 18 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

Hi, Make sure you also do a power discharge by disconnecting the power cord and pressing the power button 2 or 3 times to drain all the energy then reconnect the power cord. I have seen s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello,

I use a wired Ethernet connection on my HP desktop (5 years old), but also has wireless connection capabilities.  I use Google Fiber as my internet provider (1000 mbps), which is what I get using wired Ethernet connection.  My Ethernet connection stopped working, this was determined by plugging the Ethernet cable that was plugged in to my desktop in to my laptop and the laptop had the 1000 mbps.

I have switched my desktop to Wi-Fi and now I have internet, but at only 200 mbps. 

When I checked for the network card in my computer to see about replacing it, I discovered the Ethernet jack is solder directly to the motherboard.   I really do not want to have the jack replaced on the motherboard.

My question, can I install a network card in to one of my open PCI slots without any conflicts with the current Ethernet adapter that is part of the mother board?  See attached photo showing Ethernet port (Silver box circled in Blue) attached to motherboard.

If I can install a new card, any recommendations on a decent NIC that will work in the following PCI slot, would be appreciated.  Especially something that can handle the 1000 mbps speed.

Slot Type             PCI

Slot Usage           Available

Data lanes           x1

Slot Designation               PCI Express x1 Slot 1

Characteristics   3.3V, Shared, PME

Slot Number      1

See below my computer info:

Computer: HP ENVY 700-215xt

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz      36 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 2AF7 (SOCKET 0)            38 °C

Graphics

E20 (1600x900@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 (MSI)  34 °C

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 (SATA )            32 °C

931GB Seagate BUP Slim BL SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )           31 °C

931GB Western Digital WD My Passport 259F USB Device (USB (SATA) ) 32 °C

465GB Toshiba External USB HDD USB Device (USB (SATA) )         32 °C

Optical Drives

ASUS DRW-24F1ST c

hp CDDVDW TS-H653R

Audio

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Network

Adapters List

Enabled

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

Connection Name           Wi-Fi

NetBIOS over TCPIP        Yes

DHCP enabled   Yes

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Connection Name           Ethernet

DHCP enabled   Yes

Attached Thumbnails

• InkedIMG_0002_LI.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Should be no problem to install a new NIC.  You can get a decent one for $9.99 on Amazon: EDUP Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express PCI-E Network Card 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Adapter Converter for Desktop PC

Before you order it go into Device Manager (search for device manager and hit Enter) then click on the arrow in front of Network Adapter.  Locate your current non working Network Adapter, right click and Uninstall device (do not let it remove drivers if it asks) then Reboot.  Sometimes that is all you need to do to fix it.  If that doesn't help you can try Update Device.  If it's still dead then Disable Device and order your new one.

It's Amazon so you can send it back if it doesn't work. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

Make sure you also do a power discharge by disconnecting the power cord and pressing the power button 2 or 3 times to drain all the energy then reconnect the power cord.

I have seen several cases where this brings the network card back to life.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks for the help!!

As an update, I uninstalled the network adapter as instructed and did the power discharge.  Seem to help and I can get internet through my Ethernet cable again.  Although my speed is only half of what it has been, so I ended up getting a new NIC and installed it just to see if my speed would change, but it is still the same as with the original network adapter.  I will need to take this up with Google Fiber.

I consider this issue resolved.