Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Issues (Resolved).

Best Answer d3coy , 14 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Ah I understand now about why it can't be selected. However, good news!! So I used that DDU program you provided to uninstall the drivers for Nvidia. It also recommended to uninstall the amd o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

d3coy

d3coy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hello there,

First off here are my computer specs:

Computer Type: Dell XPS 410

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

RAM: 3.0 GB

Video Card: ATI RADEON X850 Series

Before I start this off, I know my desktop is old, and so is the video card. However, I believe I'm missing something that's making my video card not operate correctly. So recently my nvidia graphics card I was using started to make my computer freeze up or crash. So I took it out and put the video card in that I listed above. When I go in the device manager, it shows up that it display drivers is there and installed. However, when I right click on the desktop to go to the screen resolution, the display monitor shows up as Sync Master (bunch of letters and numbers). I click detect, and on the pull down menu it lists the RADEON graphics card, but it won't let me select it. I have been to the AMD website to download the drivers, which are only for vista, but I would assume that's the latest drivers installed already. I have uninstalled the graphics card driver, and windows update has reinstalled the drivers upon restarting. I've gone into the BIOS setup and changed the option from PEG to PCI to see if that would work, still nothing. I couldn't get the ATI Catalyst to download, which is used to be able to control the options of the graphics card itself. I know something isn't working properly, because when I startup a game like counter strike, I get 10 fps at the loading screen, where I use to get 100. Something is up. I know that's a lot of jargon, and I can further explain or provide additional information if needed, but that's it in a nutshell. I guess what I'm seeking advice for is on how to know and make sure the computer is using the graphics card I have installed, and not the motherboard graphics card...as well as how to make sure I have the most up to date drivers for my graphics card and be able to use a control panel for said graphics card.

Thanks in advance for your help. I truly appreciate it! 

Edited by d3coy, 08 October 2019 - 11:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello d3coy,

Video Card: ATI RADEON X850 Series

This is your problem, the card is potentially 14 to 15 years old, has not been supported by AMD for many years and nowhere near strong enough to play any modern games, there is a review for the card from way back in 2004 here the card, 0 FPS for every test  :(

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi phillpower2, and thank you for your response. I figured it had something to do with it being an old video card. However, the only game I use it for, is CS 1.6, which if you're a gamer you know is older than dirt. Just so I cover all my bases, how can I check that my computer is using the graphics card? The game doesn't require a much "graphics" if you will...and I took it from a computer that used to play the game. Just want to make sure I check everything off before obtaining a new one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello d3coy,

Just so I cover all my bases, how can I check that my computer is using the graphics card?

If your screen is plugged into a video port on the X850 series GPU it is providing your present video

We can check for any other possible reason if you like, see below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

You are welcome btw  :)

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

phillpower2,

Here is the link you requested: http://speccy.pirifo...CyUzY6K5A718Bay

I also attached a screenshot of what I was talking about not being able to select the graphics card. The sync master is the default each time I start up my computer. I click detect, it lists the radeon graphics card, but when I select it, it won't let me apply. Also worth nothing, I tried using the white DVI cord to connect to the monitor, and then switched (and am currently using) the blue VGA cord to connect to the monitor. Which is recommended from what you see? Once again thank you.

Vj25y7.jpg

Edited by d3coy, 09 October 2019 - 04:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello d3coy,

A bit of confusion here perhaps!

Is your monitor a Samsung by any chance, reason I ask is because Samsung produce SyncMaster monitors which is what your screenshot shows and which is backed up by the info in your Speccy report and likewise both identify your graphics card as a 256MB ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition device, you can only personalise your display at that Windows setting and not the GPU itself.

Speccy also shows that you still have Nvidea video drivers on the computer, not a good idea, use DDU uninstaller to remove them.

Hotfixes
Installed
10/7/2019 NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA GeForce
8600 GTS

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Yes, it is a Samsung monitor. I'm a little confused when you say: "likewise both identify your graphics card as a 256MB ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition device, you can only personalise your display at that Windows setting and not the GPU itself."

When I right click on the desktop, I click screen resolution, and just the sync master shows up. Not until I click the "detect" button does the option to choose the radeon graphics card show up. When I select the radeon, it won't let me apply it. Any clue as to why this is happening? This is why I don't think the actual graphics card is being used.

But ya if you could explain both of those things a little more in depth that would be great.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
When I select the radeon, it won't let me apply it. Any clue as to why this is happening? This is why I don't think the actual graphics card is being used.

Two ways of confirming this other than what all of the information and screenshot info we have is telling us;

1: Whatever device your screen is plugged into is what is providing you with video, your screenshot and Speccy both say 256MB ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition.

2: This 100% nails on the fact that the 256MB ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition is what is providing the video, your motherboard does not have integrated graphics, you can confirm this for yourself here

Now for a better explanation I hope;

Windows 7 is detecting and naming the screen that is displaying the video as a device named as SyncMaster.

SyncMaster is your monitor and right clicking on your desktop should allow you to change certain settings on the monitor, it will not allow you to change any settings for the GPU itself

256MB ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition is the video device that is detected by your computer and associated hardware.

In layman`s terms, there is 100% nothing wrong with your GPU hardware wise it is simply unsupported and outdated, sorry but cannot explain it any better. 

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ah I understand now about why it can't be selected.

However, good news!! So I used that DDU program you provided to uninstall the drivers for Nvidia. It also recommended to uninstall the amd one's since I had both installed at the same time. After doing so, I was able to go to the amd website, download the "latest" drivers they had, and like magic, I was able to go in and play the game like normal!

One more thing I'd like your take on is this though. Once I used the DDU program, I noticed something changed in the "screenshot section" that I had sent you in my previous post. Instead of saying SyncMaster(all the lettters and numbers)(Analog), it just says SyncMaster. During the DDU process, could that have affected anything with the monitor? Everything seems to be running fine now, just wanted to make sure nothing else was uninstalled that should still be there since the letters and numbers are gone.

I appreciate your time and help phillpower2! Every time I have come to geekstogo, I've never been let down. Thanks again my friend!

Edited by d3coy, 14 October 2019 - 01:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update d3coy which I am pleased to hear is good news, a job well done on your behalf  :thumbsup:

It was quite possible that it was the Nvidea drivers that were causing you the problems, driver conflicts are notorious with GPUs and especially when Windows takes it upon itself to update drivers without you knowing it.

I can`t give you an answer based on what I know but perhaps the change in the way that the monitor is identified is because you are now using AMD drivers as opposed to Nvidea drivers, at least things are working ok so not an issue for you.

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: Final nag from me, please create a new system restore point for your now stable settings.

jammenpepecoll

jammenpepecoll

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Had the same problem, thanks god I found this thread, it is useful for me