Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Confusion?

• Please log in to reply

tarka

tarka

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, i have a problem and im not very clever with this sort of stuff.
I have an Athlon 3000+ CPU and a few things are telling me that its running at 2097mhz. Like Sandra lite e.t.c
If i go into the bios it says i have an Athlon 3000+ CPU and that the internal somethingorother is 2100mhz.
Why isnt it running at 3000mhz? Surely it should be. Is there anything i can do to bring it up to speed?
Many thanks all.........

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
AMD use their own system which means the number does not indicate the processor speed

Edited by Keith, 19 June 2005 - 01:12 PM.

tarka

tarka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
But surely a 3gig processor is a 3gig processor. If i go to a shop and see a 3gig athlon for sale, it SHOULD be exactly that? They cant just stick a lable on it saying one thing and it acually is another, can they?
Cos now i feel a little more than ripped off to say the least. My lovely speedy 3giger turns out to be a measly 2gig. Whats that all about?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See here

http://www.novatech....7x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

tarka

tarka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im not quite sure what im supposed to be looking at there. As i said, im not very clever with CPU's and the like but i would like to know what im supposed to learn from that link? Any info is good info......

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can see the processor name and the processor speed

Edited by Keith, 19 June 2005 - 05:22 PM.