Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanner no longe recognized

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I have run into this problem after physically moving and then restoring the cables connecting my HP 2540 All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier to my W10 desktop PC. I welcome help in fixing the glitch.

FWIW.....the printer is connected to the PC by cable. All three functions worked before the move.

But now, although the HP device prints and copies as it should, it no longer scans.

When I call for a scan, I get a  message "We can't find a scanner attached to your PC.. Go to PC settings."

Can someone please explain how I get to "PC Settings" or offer other suggestions? Thanks. batpark

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

The HP Support page for your device:  https://support.hp.c...-series/5295960

1. Download the recommended full software and driver suite for the device.

2. Go to Control Panel, Devices & Printers, and uninstall the currently installed instance of the device.  When asked whether you want to remove the drivers (a checkbox) check it so that they're removed.

3. Reboot your computer.  Use Restart to do so.

4. Run the installer downloaded in step one.  Do NOT connect the multi-function until the installer prompts for it or after it's completed if it doesn't prompt for it.

I'd also suggest setting up wireless printing if you have a WiFi network and are using it.