Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Slow

Slow Startup Slow Shut down Hangs

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

That worked.

You can uninstall Speccy now.  We don't need it anymore.

You can also uninstall

Aimersoft Helper Compact

unless you have some real use for it.

Go into Firefox:

about:preferences#privacy

Uncheck all boxes under

Firefox Data Collection and Use

Go to:

about:preferences#search

Scroll down to One-Click Search Suggestions

If you have more than one search provider delete (Remove) all but your favorite.  I just have Google.

Go to:

about:addons

click on Plugins.  I only have OpenH624...,Shockwave...,Widevine... 

Do you have more?

Restart Firefox and come back to this page.  Close all other tabs.  Right click on the Clock and select Task Manager

Find Firefox under Processes.  How many does it show? (Mine has a (4) after Firefox)  What percent CPU? (Varies from 2.6 to 4.2)  How many MB? (631.5)

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

That worked.

You can uninstall Speccy now.  We don't need it anymore.

You can also uninstall

Aimersoft Helper Compact

unless you have some real use for it.

Go into Firefox:

about:preferences#privacy

Uncheck all boxes under

Firefox Data Collection and Use

Go to:

about:preferences#search

Scroll down to One-Click Search Suggestions

If you have more than one search provider delete (Remove) all but your favorite.  I just have Google.

Go to:

about:addons

click on Plugins.  I only have OpenH624...,Shockwave...,Widevine... 

Do you have more?

Restart Firefox and come back to this page.  Close all other tabs.  Right click on the Clock and select Task Manager

Find Firefox under Processes.  How many does it show? (Mine has a (4) after Firefox)  What percent CPU? (Varies from 2.6 to 4.2)  How many MB? (631.5)

Did as directed step by step.
At the end:
Firefox shows (3) with only one window open.
CPU varies from 3% to 6%
243 to 250 MB
I also uninstalled AnyDesk (installed by my Comp Guy), getting message that two other programs have to be uninstalled manually.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

With just this page open in Firefox try running Latency Monitor again.  What does the main page say.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

With just this page open in Firefox try running Latency Monitor again.  What does the main page say.

Main Log.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Thought we had killed this off once before.

Search for

Task Scheduler

hit Enter

This should bring up the Task Scheduler Window

Click on the Task Scheduler Library then on the arrow in front of it.  Now Click on the arrow in front of  Microsoft then on the arrow in front of Windows.

Find Application Experience.  Click on it.  In the next pane will be three tasks.  Right click on each and select Disable.

Let things run for a few minutes to settle down then with just the one page open in Firefox, rerun Latency Monitor.  Post the main page.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

"Click on the Task Scheduler Library then on the arrow in front of it.  Now Click on the arrow in front of  Microsoft then on the arrow in front of Windows.

Find Application Experience.  Click on it.  In the next pane will be three tasks.  Right click on each and select Disable."

This doesn't seem to be possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• task.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Click on the little arrow in front of Task Scheduler Library and things will open up.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Here's a pic to prove it's possible:

task.jpg

Bedtime for me (after midnight)

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Here are the screenshot and log.  Please go to bed now.  You can attend to this tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• appexp.PNG

Attached Files

Edited by Hari Prahlad, 23 December 2019 - 12:07 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Let's get a second opinion on the latency,

Go to

https://www.thesycon...ncy_check.shtml

Click on

Download DPC Latency Checker

Save and Right click and Run as Admin

Let it run until the boxes at the bottom fill the screen then take a screenshot.

The program has a bug on Win 8+ that causes it to read a consistent 1000 microseconds high so a normal indication is always going to show yellow so a good indication is if it reads below about 1500 and a bad is anything over 2000 This is from mine:

DPC.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't try to find  a newer version of the iastor driver.  Search for

device manager

hit Enter.

I don't have an intel system so I am guessing that iastor is going to be under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Click on the arrow in front of it to open it up and look for anything from Intel.  Right click  and Update Driver.  Tell it to Search Automatically ...  Does it find anything?

PS.  Just reply by starting in the box at the bottom of the post.  If you hit the Reply button at the top it copies everything that I have written which we don't need especially since the forum software has trouble showing attachments when you do that.

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Here are the screenshots.

No updates under drivers available.  I have the latest.

Attached Thumbnails

• DPCLatChk.PNG
  • IDEATA.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The checker seems happy with your PC.  If you listen to a video with sound does the sound sound OK are does it click once in a while?

Look in Device Manager under Storage Controllers.  See if you have anything from Intel there that you can upgrade.  Rumor has it that it moved from where it used to be.

Also you connect to the internet via a USB adapter of some kind don't you?  Could there be an upgrade available for your device?

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I connect to the Internet by a Vodafone 4G Dongle.  This is the latest.  We will get 5G only some time next year.

Attached Thumbnails

• Storage.PNG

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Video/audio no complaints.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'm going over to my stepson's to play nurse and take care of his kids.  He apparently has the same virus.  I haven't seen him in a week so he didn't get it from me - guess it's just going around.  My wife was going to go but I don't want her getting sick.

Going to have to put this on hold for a while.