Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I tell which partitions I don't need?

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 February 2020 - 03:06 PM

With a 1TB SSD I would be clean installing Windows 10 onto it and as part of the procedure putting it on its own 250GB partition on the drive, this helps to prevent Windows from becoming corrupted... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Waiting on the USB stick is the easiest option but as previously mentioned the ISO is only any real use if it is the latest version.

Advertisements

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I doubt that it is, but can't I just update right on my PC once Windows is installed on the SSD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You could do that and only create your back up once you have got everything fully up to date.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Well, I couldn't wait anymore and wound up just going at it with a Migrate OS feature from I think it was Mini Partition Tool.  It all worked out, but it locked up during the cloning, before booting into Windows, and then my PC wouldn't boot.  On a whim I just tried booting from the SSD and that worked.  All my files are still on the HDD but the drive letter was removed, so maybe that was it...I don't know.  I may still do a clean install later but it seems to have worked out for now.  Just need to move a lot of these data files off the SSD now.  Thanks for everything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You choice but you have made things difficult for yourself and for the reasons that were explained in my reply #8.

What I would do now if in your position, get the Windows install on the SSD fully up to date, create a back up image of it on the external USB HDD and then get rid of all the useless recovery partitions that you have as they are of no use to you and are just using up your valuable storage space.

You are welcome btw  :)

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Yeah, honestly, I didn't expect it to do it quite like that.  I was just curious as to whether or not it would work, didn't expect it to do the operation outside of Windows, nor make my original drive not boot.  Probably should do a clean install, but I'll get to it later.  If I do a Reset this PC, is that actually the same as a clean install?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

A clean install is exactly that nothing on the drive whatsoever, a reset actually reinstalls the existing Windows installation that is on the drive at the time, problem with this is that any glitches that may be present don`t always get ironed out.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Hum...I see.  I had a feeling it couldn't be that simple.  Well, I'll have to set aside the time and get to it eventually.  Thanks for your help and I suppose I should mark this solved?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I speak from experience, one of my computers that had been upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and right the way up to version 1903 would under no circumstances upgrade to version 1909, tried the reset option with no luck and it took downloading and installing the Windows 1909 ISO to get it done.

You are welcome btw and you know where we are if you need us  :thumbsup:

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Ugh...weeeelllll, I did a booboo.  I removed all the system partitions from my old drive, shrank my new one, and put all my games on a new partition on that new drive.  Everything worked great.  Like an idiot, I decided to restart it to see how fast it would boot.  Well, it doesn't.  And now there's no recovery partition, I suppose.  I get:

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
An unexpected error has occurred.
Error code: 0xc0000225

Seems pretty straightforward that I need recovery software.  I've just one USB stick at the moment and it gives me error code 10 in device manager, and won't start.  I think this happened when I ran clean on it in diskpart.  From what I can tell, it's a 

SanDisk 2 GB Cruzer Micro with U3 (SDCZ6-2048-A10)

I'm about to look into making it bootable again through Google, but if you've any suggestions, I'm glad to hear them.  Obviously, once I do that, should be easy enough to repair it with the installation media.

Advertisements

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Never mind, that USB is too small and I cleverly remembered that I was stupidly forgetting that I have an external HDD, so I used my girlfriend's very old laptop and let it spend a couple hours carving out a fat32 partition for me to make a bootable W10 installer, and I used the command prompt on that to fix everything.

Still curious about that Cruzer if you have any idea how to make it work again, but it's super low priority, honestly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Any storage device that you have had trouble with is not to be trusted, best get yourself a couple of good ones, a 16GB one for downloading a Windows 10 ISO and one smaller one for your drivers, a lot of places sell multi packs like the ones here only purchase them from a trusted merchant so as to avoid the many fake ones that are out there.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Sounds good.  Yeah, I really do need to get a new one.  This one did work till I wiped it this week, but 2GB is not enough for anything important anyway.  I have my Windows 10 installer on a bootable partition in a couple places now, though, one of which is my external, so I feel pretty good about that.  Should probably throw a mini Linux or something on there as well, so I can use the internet and recovery stuff simultaneously on one device.  I have no smartphone, unfortunately.

All right, that probably wraps it up.  Sorry for dragging you back here.  Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup: