Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor not connecting (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

Embarrassingly, I have noticed that there is another HDMI slot further down on the PC (I didn't realise before - it was obscured by a big VGA cable next to it).  It happens so don`t worry... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

guyshahar

guyshahar

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I've just bought a new monitor (Benq EW2780q) and was planning to connect it via HDMI (it only has HDMI and display port and my PC doesn't have display port).

However, the HDMI cable doesn't seem to work from my computer (Chillblast, Windows 10) to the monitor.  The problem is with my PC, as the HDMI from the PC doesn't seem to work with any monitor (I was using VGA with my previous monitor, but I'm sure I've used HDMI in the past), and the monitor does work via HDMI from my laptop.

Am I right in assuming that the HDMI port on my PC is dead and I should exchange the monitor for a different model (which would be sad), or is there some setting I need to set or some other obvious way to make the port work?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

As an asides guyshahar may I ask that as a courtesy you acknowledge the reply of zep516 at you previous thread here it takes a matter of seconds to say thanks or no thanks to those that have offered their help, not acknowledging any offer of help makes folk less likely to be willing to help you in the future and that is something that none of us want.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thanks very much Phil (and for the reminder - now actioned).

Te Speccy results are here - http://speccy.pirifo...qOMUVClXHLGp7HP  (doesn't work for some reason - the one below should)

Edited by guyshahar, 15 March 2020 - 07:41 AM.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...qOMUVClXHLGp7HP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

Thanks for both guyshahar  :thumbsup:

Will take a look at the Speccy report and get back to you.

Edit to add: Not sure if it is related but you have issues going on that need addressing before we can start troubleshooting this issue, you are seriously low on free storage space on both the Windows and the data only storage device, we need space on the C: drive before we can begin our work as Windows needs to be gotten fully up to date (from version 1903 to 1909) + we need to get certain drivers/software up to date and we cannot do this atm, see canned info below;

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive, this also to avoid data corruption.

Please note that storage devices can physically fail if the amount of free storage space is allowed to drop below the required 10 or 20/25% minimum.

Uninstall as many unused programs, games, videos and music files as you can and get yourself another means of backing up to, post back when you have between 20 and 25% free storage on the C: drive/partition and we can go from there.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Ooh  OK. I will work on this....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

:thumbsup:

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

OK - painstaking, but I've got the C Drive up to 23% free and the E drive up to 11% free.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

You need at least 25 to 30% as the missing updates will take up a lot.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Updated to Windows 1909, but only about 22% free now, and I don't know what else I can delete from the C drive.....  (don't understand what's in there - have moved Dropbox out of it and uninstalled most of my programs)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

Can you post an updated Speccy url for us, we will hopefully see stuff there that can be gotten rid of 22% is fine for now.

I will be going offline shortly as I have an early start.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thanks - done it - http://speccy.pirifo...5tvCz8y0PZ1gCRY

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts

Some info here link provided courtesy of zep516  :thumbsup:

I suggest that you disconnect your external HDD until you are in a position to back up some data from it, at 3% free you are on thin ice.

To the HDMI problem now, sorry but have to ask, are you certain that you connecting the new monitor to the HDMI port on the GTX 750 and not to the HDMI video port on the MB.

Do you get any onscreen message on the monitor such as Out of Range etc

If needs be, are you comfortable with working inside of a computer, reason I ask is we may need you to remove the add on GPU from the MB and then trying the new monitor connected to the HDMI port on the MB.

guyshahar

guyshahar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hi again - no, it just says no connection detected, even though it is plugged in via HDMI.  I'm actually not aware which ports in the back relate to the graphics card and which to the Motherboard (and I'm definitely not comfortable opening the thing up.....)

Embarrassingly, I have noticed that there is another HDMI slot further down on the PC (I didn't realise before - it was obscured by a big VGA cable next to it).  When I'm able, later, I'll see if that one works.

BTW - is there also a risk of corruption to the data on the external drive when it's so full?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
✓  Best Answer
Embarrassingly, I have noticed that there is another HDMI slot further down on the PC (I didn't realise before - it was obscured by a big VGA cable next to it).

It happens so don`t worry, we are only interested in resolving the issue and if you happen to learn something new along the way it is a bonus, on desktops that have an add on GPU and a MB that has video ports the lowest video ports are typically those of the add on GPU and the top ones those of the MB, the latter are covered by a silver I/O plate that keeps out dust + grounds the MB and MB ports.

Regarding the space on the external storage device, was the info in my reply #13 not enough of a warning;

I suggest that you disconnect your external HDD until you are in a position to back up some data from it, at 3% free you are on thin ice.