Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommended router + extender set up

Best Answer RKinner , 07 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Great that your setup works.  Best way would be to run an Ethernet cable through the floors if that were at all possible.  Repeaters don't seem to give you much in the way of se... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Experts,

I need your support for validate if what I'm doing is technically correct or not

Set up:

- optical fiber internet

- Netgear R7800 as AP

- TP-Link re505x/a extender

The R7800 2.4GHz and 5GHz wi-fi have the same SSID but the "Smart Connect" is off as per other forums recommendation, channel auto for the 2.4GHz, channel 40 for the 5GHz

I bought the extender to bring the signal to my underground garage, two floors down the R7800. Is there anything that I have to change, both on the main unit or in the extender, to maximize performance and reduce noise or conflicts in the system?

Many thanks to all!

cheers

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Two floors down is a long way for an extender.  I can't even get an extender to work 2 rooms away.  Have to use a powerline pair (TP-link AV600).  It works but sometimes it stops working for no reason and I have to reset it.  Maybe when the fridge compressor cycles on & off. 

Perhaps if you put an Extender on each floor you could sort of daisy chain them?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Thanks for your answer!

I’ve installed it yesterday and so far is working, 22Mbps average that is not great but more than enough

I’ve read that multiple extenders drop the signal a lot since they interfere each other. I’ve no issue in buying another one but I would be sure about the real benefit and the eventual setting tips
At the end, the companies are full of repeater and everything is working :))

Do you know the best way to have a performance WiFi set up with the repeaters at home?

Cheers

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Great that your setup works. 

Best way would be to run an Ethernet cable through the floors if that were at all possible. 

Repeaters don't seem to give you much in the way of setup options.  Ideal would be to allow you to use a different channel for the repeated signal so they wouldn't interfere but I haven't seen any that would let you do that.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Agree... it’s automatic unfortunately

Thanks!