Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not sure if I have malware!

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Update: Sorry Ron, the internet has been down here preventing me from doing the tasks you requested. I will hopefully be able to write tomorrow, sending this from my cell phone! Roger

Advertisements

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Hi Ron,

Sorry for the delay in replying, my internet connection was down for a lot of yesterday.

I have now managed to follow your last instructions and attach the following .txt files:

1. procexp64.exe > Edge Closed > VPN enabled > Battery disconnected > AC Power connected
  2. procexp64 2.exe > Edge Closed > >VPN Disabled > Battery disconnected > AC Power connected
  3. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs > Edge Closed > VPN Disabled > Battery connected > AC Power disconnected
  4. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 2 > Edge Closed > VPN enabled > Battery connected > AC Power disconnected
  5. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 3 > Edge Closed > VPN enabled > Battery connected > AC Power connected
  6. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 4 > Edge Closed > VPN Disabled > Battery connected > AC Power connected

At this point I installed Firefox (I did not get a check box offering ‘Import from Edge’ but checked ‘Content Process Limit to 1’ as instruct.)

7. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 5 > Edge Closed >Firefox running > VPN enabled > Battery and AC Power connected

8. Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 6 > Edge Closed >Firefox running > VPN disabled > Battery and AC Power connected

I have looked at the .txt files and it appears the interrupts numbers shown there are consistently higher than those showing in the Process Explorer screen.  I am not sure if I can attach a video to a post in this forum and will check that using my desktop PC shortly.  For now however I will view a video taken on my phone and transcribe here the changing interrupts in succession when the last 2 files above were created. (I hope this makes sense!  If I am successful in attaching the videos it will be clearer)

When file Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 5.txt was created figures displayed per second were:

1.14/1.11/1.10/1.10/1.14/1.16/1.24/1.21/1.17/1.17/1.44  (Figure in txt file is 2.37!)

When file Hardware Interrupts and DPCs 6.txt was created figures displayed per second were:

2.72/2.59/2.66/3.09/3.06/2.71/2.65/2.96 (Figure in txt file is 3.58!)

I have noticed similar discrepancies before, I should have said something, sorry.  I don’t know if any of the above helps at all, I am now totally confused.

I do believe however that the laptop is very much better for all your efforts and I thank you again!  Incidentally, since the slow boot yesterday I have timed the start ups today and it is very much better again, must have been a temporary thing!

Roger

Attached Files

Edited by rogerbid, Today, 01:26 AM.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Hello Ron

As I suspected I am not able to attach video files, I reduced them to .flv format in case that helped but no luck.  If there is a way to share these files please advise, :)

I will look forward to hearing more in due course, thanks,

Roger

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 22,742 posts
  • MVP

ETDCtrl.exe seems to be present when Interrupts at highest.

Right click on the clock and select Task Manager

Then click on Startup tab. 

Find ETDCtrl

in the first column and select it.  Then Disable.  Reboot.

This is part of the touchpad but I think it only provides the fancy stuff so you probably won't notice any difference.

What does Interrupts say now?

Video files would need to be 2 MB or less and would have to be zipped up to attach as the forum limits the types of files and the size you can post.  You have to use a third party online file storage and send me the link.  Something like one of these:

https://www.creative...e-tools-3132117