Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound issues. I don't think it's my ears!

- - - - -

Best Answer Slime , 17 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

You are welcome   NB: Just in case you see any audio boosting apps online, before you download them check to see if there is a fee after a trial version has been tried and check for any r... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Slime

Slime

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi all

Asus Windows 10 laptop and my volume is rubbish.

It used to be acceptable, but recently it's been fluctuating between poor volume levels and no volume levels!

When the volume totally fails a restart normally brings it back ................................ but it's just not loud enough!

I have all the latest drivers.

I think what I'm really asking is this, is there a downloadable app that'll enhance/increase my volume levels?

Thanks everyone,

Slime.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Could be that your speakers are on their way out - how old is the notebook.

Two things you can try, test the audio in dxdiag

For the most conclusive of tests, connect a set of external speakers to the notebook.

If the notebooks audio chip is ok but the speakers are failing or have a loose connection dxdiag will not detect any problems whereas if you get good sound from external speakers you know that the problem is with the notebook speakers and not the audio chip or its drivers.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Could be that your speakers are on their way out - how old is the notebook.

Two things you can try, test the audio in dxdiag

For the most conclusive of tests, connect a set of external speakers to the notebook.

If the notebooks audio chip is ok but the speakers are failing or have a loose connection dxdiag will not detect any problems whereas if you get good sound from external speakers you know that the problem is with the notebook speakers and not the audio chip or its drivers.

Hi mate

The machine is only a couple of years old!

I've just opened DXDIAG and, under sound, it says 'no problem found'.

How do I test the audio in DXDIAG?

Unfortunately, I have no external speakers, sorry.

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry, should have said check not test, doh  :oops:

To test the speakers, go into Sounds by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar, you can test the speakers by moving the Master Volume slider up and down to see if there is any noticeable difference, there is also an audio troubleshooter there should you need it.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sorry, should have said check not test, doh  :oops:

To test the speakers, go into Sounds by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar, you can test the speakers by moving the Master Volume slider up and down to see if there is any noticeable difference, there is also an audio troubleshooter there should you need it.

Tested the sound as you suggested and all seems well .............................................. however, max volume is just not very loud!

I'd like it louder, if there's an app that'll do that for me.

Many thanks Phill,

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are restricted by what the speakers can produce I`m afraid and there is no magic app that can change that, if your master volume is set to max that is all that you can get and the only alternative is to get external speakers

If your speakers are so low as to barely be audible your either have a loose connection or the speaker/s are faulty.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Okay, that's fair enough.

Thank you both for your help and advice. :spoton:

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

NB: Just in case you see any audio boosting apps online, before you download them check to see if there is a fee after a trial version has been tried and check for any reviews first, some can lose your sound altogether and  at least one other that I know of damaged peoples speakers beyond repair.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
✓  Best Answer

You are welcome  :)

NB: Just in case you see any audio boosting apps online, before you download them check to see if there is a fee after a trial version has been tried and check for any reviews first, some can lose your sound altogether and  at least one other that I know of damaged peoples speakers beyond repair.

Thanks, that's sound advice ......................................... as always.

Take care fella,

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You too   :thumbsup: