Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data backup problems

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I use a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1 TB hard drive to backup my data. My pc is a Lenovo H500S with a Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD, and I use Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I've been using EaseUS Todo Backup recently for data backup.  Todo Backup completed the initial full backup, but it does not complete any differential backups.  I have the differential backups set to backup daily, so everyday I get the message:"The backup path does not exist.  Please check the backup path and retry."  The My Passport HD is plugged into my computer, and its light is on always.  But My Passport is not listed in "My Devices" as it used to be.  Also, the Backup and Retrieve tabs in WD Smartware are not highlighted as they used to be.

Since I am using Todo Backup now, should I uninstall the Western Digital Smartware program from my hard drive?  Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 17 June 2020 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I plugged my external drive into another usb port, and my computer now recognizes it and EaseUS backups are working too.  I did not think that the usb port was the problem because the external drive was being powered by that port, and I think the drive has always been plugged into that port.  I tried shutting down the computer and disconnecting the drive and reconnecting into that port both when the computer was on and off then restarting it, but none of these steps worked.  Anyway, my external drive is working now.