Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speccy Temps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I worry with this extremely hot weather if it will adversely affect my desktop system. I live in an old uninsulated brick house and after the sun beats down on those bricks all day, it's like living in a pizza oven. I just looked at the internal temps with Speccy, but don't know if they are satisfactory.

Edit by phillpower2: Duplicate thread closed, OP now receiving assistance here

Attached Thumbnails

• speccy.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Depends on if it's a laptop or a desktop.

Probably about normal for a laptop.  Too high for a desktop.  (Should be around 45).  Usual problem is dust in the heatsink.  If you decide to clean it be careful not to loosen or unscrew the heatsink.  OK to remove the fan to get to the heatsink.

Speedfan is more accurate. Speccy tends to be a bit high.

http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

It will tell you your temps in real time tho the default is to show the hard drive temp in the systray.  You can change it:  Hit Configure then click on the highest temp and check Show in tray.  
With no other programs running what is the highest temp you see?  Run an anti-virus scan, play one of your games or watch a video for at least 5 minutes.  What is the highest temp now?

We don't really want it to go over about 65 under load.  If it does it usually means either the fan is defective (speedfan should tell you your fan speed so you can see if it is running) or (most likely) the interface between the fan and the heatsink is clogged with dust. The best fix for a clogged heatsink is to remove the fan (not the heatsink or heatpipe) and vacuum out the heatsink.  However on some PCs this is major surgery.  Sometimes you can blow air backwards through the exhaust vent while vacuuming at the input vent and if you are lucky it may clear the heatsink.  Don't do it too long as the fan may overrev.