Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NT Kernel & System

NT Kernel

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Have you looked in Control panel, Programs & Features?  If Microsoft Silverlight is there then that's why you keep getting offered Silverlight updates.  Uninstall it and that should stop.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I started getting the updates after I uninstalled it.  Attaching an alphabetical list of the Ms.  Cannot see Microsoft Silverlight there.  Is there any other place to look?  Could the Microsoft Visual C++ be causing the option for updates?

Attached Thumbnails

• Programs - M.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Expect the uninstall did not fully uninstall it.  Search for
regedit
hit enter
click on the top line then
EDIT, FIND
search for
silverlight
does it find any?

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Attached the result of the search.

Also copying a solution which I did not want to try until you saw it except not planning to reinstall it:

https://support.micr...etmefixitmyself

How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then reinstall Silverlight
Symptoms
When working with Microsoft Silverlight you may encounter the following scenarios:
  • Install Microsoft Silverlight
  • Upgrade to another version of Microsoft Silverlight
  • Uninstall Microsoft Silverlight
  • Microsoft Silverlight does not work as expected

Attempts to restart the computer and try to upgrade, install or uninstall Microsoft Silverlight again end in the same results.
Cause
This issue can occur if an existing installation or uninstall has become corrupt.
Resolution
To automatically uninstall Microsoft Silverlight, click the button in the "Fix it for me" section. If you would rather verify and update these keys yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me

Note This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.

Note If you are not currently using the computer that is experiencing this problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it later on the computer in question.

When the Fix it solution has completed, click the link below to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight:

Let me fix it myself

To resolve this issue yourself, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and type Notepad in the Search box
  2. Double-click on Notepad from the list of results above
  3. Copy and then paste the following text into Notepad.
    reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl.5.1 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00} /f
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Silverlight"
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Silverlight"

4. Click File and Save As and type CleanSilverlight.cmd
  5. In the Save astype box, click All Files (*.*)
  6. In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save
  7. On the File menu, click Exit
  8. Right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator
  9. When the uninstall completes, right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator a second time
  10. Once the uninstall has completed, click the link below to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight

http://www.microsoft...ll/default.aspx
  11. Delete the CleanSilverlight.cmd file from your desktop.

Attached Thumbnails

• How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation adn then install Silverlight part 1.PNG
  • How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then install Silverlight part 2.PNG
  • How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then install Silverlight part 3.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't see the search results but the method you found should work just fine.  Go ahead and try it.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Meant to attach these.  Should I still go ahead with the solution? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Regedit Silverlight 1209201101 01.PNG
  • Regedit Silverlight 1209201101 02.PNG
  • Regedit Silverlight 1209201101 03.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yes.  If your procedure doesn't work then we can try removing what you found.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Looks like the fix did not work.  I did the search on Regedit the files are still there.  I did notice that 6 hidden updates disappeared.  Also there is an optional update for Microsoft Silverlight.

(Note I did export the Registry entries and named the file "Registry Backup."  Not sure it was needed but thought it might be a good idea)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I think it may have worked.  The optional update is probably to install Silverlight.  Hide it and then we will have to wait and see if you get any more updates.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Here is the info on the update (which I hid):

Microsoft Silverlight (KB4481252)
Download size: 12.5 MB
Update type: Optional

When searching regedit the Silverlight files are still there - Many that looked like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Assemblies\c:|Program Files (x86)|Microsoft Silverlight|5.1.50907.0|ar|Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources.dll

As soon as I completed this reply, another update appeared:

Microsoft Silverlight (KB4023307)

Download size: 12.6 MB

Update type: Optional

Edited by joseph456, 09 December 2020 - 11:58 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

12.6 MB looks like a full install.  Also when I read about it it says you get a choice of:

50918.00\Silverlight.exe

50918.00\Silverlight_Developer.exe

50918.00\Silverlight_Developer_x64.exe

50918.00\Silverlight_x64.exe

so I think if you hide it and wait you will not get any more updates for Silverlight.

I looked at my registry and for some reason I have the same entries just with a different version number:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Assemblies\c:|Program Files (x86)|Microsoft Silverlight|5.1.30514.0|ar|Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources.dll

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Every time I hide an update I get another one.  Here is how many I have so far:

Do you think I should reinstall it, then remove it with Revo Uninstaller?

Attached Thumbnails

• Microsoft Silverlight Updates 1211200002.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Worth a try.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Did not work.  Even used the next step (moderate) to delete files.  Updates came back again. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I don't think it's part of Windows Features but I don't have a Win 7 to play with any more.  Go in to Control Panel, Programs & Features then click on Turn Windows Features On & Off.  See if you see Silverlight there.  IF so uncheck it.