Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Irfanview

Irfanview png to ico batch export to ico image expert jpeg to ico

• Please log in to reply

Ahmet Onur AKOL

Ahmet Onur AKOL

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I am using Irfanview software to export my image files to .ico files. But whatever I do with settings my folder looks like pic1. But I want it to look like pic2. (I made pic2 with a different software, but I need Irfanview's other functions, so I want to do it with Irfanview).What am I doing wrong?

And also no matter what I do with conversion settings ico files become between 5mb- 150mb(pic3). Source of this ico files is a 300kb jpeg. Do anyone know why?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I downloaded irfanview  and tried loading my texture file which was a 1M png file.  (Didn't change any of the defaults or add any plugins)  I used the Image, Add Shadow Shape Make Round Corners option, Circle and then did a File Save As .ico.  I got a 3M file tho mine was full sized as in picture 2 and not small as in picture 1. 

Screenshot 2020-11-29 132229.jpg

I suspect the tripling in size comes from an icon file being bitmapped so it does not benefit from png or jpg compression.  I tried changing my original file to a bmp and it wound up about the same 3 M.  I tried starting with a smaller 2K jpg and the result was still 3M

I then customized the folder to use my new icon in place of the folder icon.  Took a while for Windows to realize but eventually it changed the folder icon out and started using my new icon.  My folder with the new icon showed about 5M as the size.  This size is the sum of all of the files in the folder and not just the icon.