Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer aspire 5 wont boot to windows blank screen with mouse pointer

aspire 5 blank sceen mouse

• Please log in to reply

Cardoctork

Cardoctork

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

I have an acer aspire 5 win 10 home. all of a sudden last week will not start windows. starts the acer screen then goes to a blank screen with white mouse pointer that you can move around screen. Did get to restore and tried going back. No change I can get to a dos screen. I have hbcd on a usb and can get it to load but only drive I can see is the usb?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Recommendation on the ACER forum is to:

First you do a power reset! To do this, disconnect the notebook from the electrical outlet, and then disconnect the lithium battery. Then press the power button for thirty seconds 

IF that doesn't help try disconnecting the Hard drive and then reconnecting.

Can you see the hard drive in the BIOS setup?

access the BIOS / UEFI menu by pressing F2 repeatedly during and immediately after the Acer logo is displayed.  (Start from a cold start and if that doesn't work try holding the ESC at the same time as you tap F2)

Should be on the Information page.  Third item down (HDD Model Name:)  Also check the boot order on the Boot page to make sure it looks at the hard drive before anything else.

If you see the hard drive in BIOS then try going to the command prompt and type:

rstrui.exe

and hit Enter.  See if it offers you an older System Restore Point.

If that doesn't work you will need a USB Drive (8GB or bigger) then on a different PC go to:

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Scroll down to:

Create Windows 10 installation media

Click on:

Download Tool Now

Follow the instructions under:

Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)

Then move the USB drive to your sick PC and boot off it.  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  You can select Repair and try to fix it or just install (loses all of your data).

If the BIOS setup does not see the Hard drive AND you have not messed with the BIOS then the Hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.  You can use the Download tool now link to reload Win 10 on your new drive.

Cardoctork

Cardoctork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Well repair did not work I did get to reset pc and started it but it froze at 52% stayed that way over night. I can get to dos and see the drives. When I boot off usb get won't repair if I click upgrade tells me a version of windows is already installed.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can you run

chkdsk  /r

on the internal drive?

Normally it's C: so it would be chkdsk /r C:

Cardoctork

Cardoctork