Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a bluetooth speaker to a W10 laptop

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I am considering buying a bluetooth speaker to amplify the audio output from my Lenovo laptop

14 API (with W10). I find the volume of the internal audio speaker to be too low. I would like to use the same speaker to amplify the audio output of my iPhone 7. (I understand that the iPhone has a compatible bluetooth transmitter.)

Can someone tell me whether the Lenovo unit also contains a compatible bluetooth transmitter; or tell me how I can determine that for myself?

If the laptop does not have a bluetooth transmitter, what's involved in adding that capability? Can it be done by buying a device that installs easily into the laptop, or does it require complicated soldering by a skilled technician?

Thanks.               batpark

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello bat,

What model number do you have ?

Also:

I have a great link to at least get started with some of your questions,

https://support.leno...vice-windows-10

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Also this

https://laptoping.co...h-built-in.html

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

zep516: Thanks, once again, for responding. 

I tried to use the Lenovo tool you identified but could not get it to work (don't know why) so I, once again, tried calling Lenovo tech support. Surprisingly, I actually spoke to a tech rep. He checked my laptop serial number and told me that my unit is NOT compatible with an external Bluetooth amplifier. 

So,  I repeat my second question: How difficult/easy is it to add to the laptop whatever device can add that capability (i.e. to transmit program signals to a bluetooth-enabled amplifier). I suspect that it is not a simple job and I will likely not go ahead with the idea. But I would certainly appreciate advice of more experiened G-t-Gers.

...... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

zep516: Thanks, once again, for responding. 

I tried to use the Lenovo tool you identified but could not get it to work (don't know why) so I, once again, tried calling Lenovo tech support. Surprisingly, I actually spoke to a tech rep. He checked my laptop serial number and told me that my unit is NOT compatible with an external Bluetooth amplifier. 

So,  I repeat my second question: How difficult/easy is it to add to the laptop whatever device can add that capability (i.e. to transmit program signals to a bluetooth-enabled amplifier). I suspect that it is not a simple job and I will likely not go ahead with the idea. But I would certainly appreciate advice of more experiened G-t-Gers.

...... batpark

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

You would consider a USB Bluetooth adapter

To begin installation, insert the Bluetooth Dongle to a free USB port on your computer. After a few seconds, you should see a yellow notification bubble by the clock. Windows will automatically begin to search for the necessary drivers and after a few minutes, the hardware will be installed and ready for use.

What's it look like

https://www.amazon.c...uetooth adapter

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Zep516: I found this site you suggested particularly helpful

https://laptoping.co...h-built-in.html. Can you give me the full email address for submitting qestions to the fellow who runs it?

Thank so much.   ..... Batpark