Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screwed up XP system

• Please log in to reply

Sapphireskye

Sapphireskye

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I am no computer geek. About three weeks ago our XP emachines *HUBBYS" computer was inundated with spyware, Aurora malware, trojans, viruses you name it. Well I downloaded all the freeware I could to try to fix that and then I got rid of internet explorer and changed to Mozilla firefox. Somehow the search assistant for files and the help and support programs are not working properly. I could not go to a former restore point because the computer would not allow that. Also, I downloaded the MSGR3EN.dll from a dll dump site for the search assistant and followed instructions from another website on how to fix the problem and connect the files to the search assistant and to install it...well it is not working. I am also getting error screens about runtime library and something involving C++. My internet is working, and I am not longer getting virus alerts (I have the newest AVG Free), but sometimes the internet won't open (my browser and I have to restart the computer. I know this is a jumble but please bear with me> I have no idea where our restore disk or any of our disks are yet. We moved two months ago, and I don't know if they were thrown away by my sis in law while packing. We are broke, and I need to know if there is free solution to try to clean up the dll and runtime errors on this computer. ;) I tried some programs, that had a free trial, but they did not fix the problem, only scanned (of course they didn't have full trials for free. Is there any freeware that would help clear up my dll and runtime errors? Any suggestions ;) :tazz: I have adaware, spywaredoctor, AVG for the other types of problems. Also, I have earthlink internet and everytime I try to download our email via the Earthlink toolbar it will show an error message and closes earthlink and the internet down. Any ideas bout this. Well any advice is welcome...God bless

Shell :tazz:

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go Sapphireskye

I would suggest reading this. Download HijackThis and post your logfile in the Malware Removal-HiJackThis Logs Go Here forum. I am sure that one of our members can be of assistance to you.

HTH
"O"