Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN probs

• Please log in to reply

playr101

playr101

• Pip
  • 5 posts
whats up all.. have a prob i hope you all can help me fix
all computers laptops with winxp
im setting up a lan with no internet connection between 4-6 computers for file and print sharing....
i have a linksys 8-port workgroup switch
all is set up... cables from computers to switch
and all on the same workgroup

but when i go to my network places.. i cant see nothing..
on view workgroup computers.. i see none..
i search for the printer attached to one.. and cant find ... finds none

tcp/ip protocol is set up
client for microsoft network is up
file and print sharing is up

am i missing something?.. hope this is enough info..
i setup another network.. and file and print sharing works fine...
i dont know what im doing wrong..

plz help

-playr101

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, are you obtaining the IP addresses automatically? or are you assigning them manually? If manually, try going into the network adapter's properties, go to the TCP/IP properties, then under the WINS tab, click the "Enable TCP/IP" radio button. Then apply. See what happens. You will have to do this to each machine. If you are using automatic addressing, we will try other steps. Please post back with response.

Greazy Mcgeezy

playr101

playr101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i am using automatic addressing... so help with that method would be appreciated

tia

-playr101

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
What is the model number of your Switch?

playr101

playr101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its a linksys EZXS88W

im fairly new to this stuff.. so any this help is appreciated...

tia

-playr101

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Have you configured your firewalls e.g. norten, zonealarm to allow the other computers to access them?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, from what I just read on that Model, as with most switches, it doesn't provide DHCP server capabilities. So unless you are using a machine as a DCHP server, they are all getting an APIPA address, which is odd, because if none of them are getting an address other than the APIPA, they should still be talking. Here is what we will try. Make sure that none of the computers are plugged into the UPLINK/Auto Crossover port on your switch. All computers should be using a standard patch cable to connect to the switch.

In my sig at bottom, you should see a tutorials link, there go to the Static IP Tutorial. Assign each of your computers the following values:
(Also, while manually assigning the addresses, Click the Advanced button at the bottom of the Network Adapter properties, then go to the WINS tab at the top, at bottom of that window, check the radio button that states "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If you do this on each machine while still accessing the properties table, you only have to go to each one once and will save you time.)

Computer 1
IP Address: 192.168.1.50
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Computer 2
IP Address: 192.168.1.51

Computer 3
IP Address: 192.168.1.52

Computer 4
IP Address: 192.168.1.53

Computer 5
IP Address: 192.168.1.54

Computer 6
IP Address: 192.168.1.55

Since you aren't connected to the internet with this network, you have no need to worry about the Default Gateway or the DNS. After all this is complete, you should have connectivity between the computers. Try to run some ping tests between them and see what happens.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 20 June 2005 - 04:35 PM.

playr101

playr101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no go... got it all set up as u specified..
got 3 laptops right now.. and none see each other..
no route to host when pinging...
ipconfig. /all ... on one computer just shows... windows ip configuration.. and nothing else!
there is no firewalls enabled on these computers...
local area connection icon shows connectivity and so does the switch...
but no computers when i open my network places.. or workgroup computers

ahh...
headache

whats next?

-playr101

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, you say that the lights on the switch and on the NIC shows connectivity. Do this, download and install the following two items:

Ethereal
WinPcap

In order to eliminate some time, go ahead and install those on all three machines.

On any two of the machines:
Open Ethereal, at the top, click the drop down labeled "Capture", Click "Start Capture".
After you have a capture running on both of the machines, try to ping each other a couple times each. Then stop the captures and let them load into Ethereal. Save the files in the default format naming them as PC1 and PC2, if you want to go ahead and do all the same steps and include PC3 that would be fine. Then email the files to [email protected]. We will review them to see if we can discover where the stopping point is.

Greazy Mcgeezy

playr101

playr101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
will do...

tia

-playr101