Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Once windows loads nothing responds :S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maxoys45

maxoys45

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Since a few days ago sometimes when i load up windows, once it has finished and im looking at the desktop my computer connects to the internet then nothing responds. It doesnt happen if im not connected but i dont think its a virus/adware/spyware because i have done the scans. This is the third time ive had this problem but in the past i just did system restore but this time i didnt have any available restore points. When i say "nothing responds" i dont mean it is frozen. I can move the mouse around and double click things but the cursor does the loading thing then nothing happens. The strangest thing is that i can open folders and look at pictures but nothing else. Anything that was already open will work aswell so i find myself getting all my programs open then connecting to the internet.

After about 5-10 minutes any of the programs i have tried to open, open all at once making my computer lag.

Plz help :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry for the delay in responding to your problem..

For starters, have you tried booting from the XP cd and running the Recovery Console in irder to do a repair on XP??

Murray

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm lazy, I would do an SFC (System File Check) before booting into the Recovery Console.
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
You will need your XP disk.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
User has posted in other topic that problem has been resolved, so this topic can be closed.