Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook display goes all white from power-up

• Please log in to reply

russw

russw

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can shed some light on this issue ;^)

A freind brought me her notebook after returning from a trip abroad. It was working fine on her trip but upon her return the display screen is all white when powered on. Every pixel is lit white! I sometimes wonder whether airport security scans can damage lappy's?

I'm trying to diagnose whether something is wrong with the screen or is wrong with the video signal going to the display, IE whether it is an LCD issue or a mobo issue since the video is integrated on the mobo.

It is not a brightness/contrast issue. And the video will display on an external monitor connection via the svga port. Sometimes when cycling between the external monitor and the LCD display I can see some momentary imaging on the LCD which almost instantaneously dissapates to the all white phase.

If I try switching video modes w/o an external monitor, the LCD phases to all black and again black, and back to all white. Thinking that an all white screen would indicate that every single color pixel group is being powered, makes me think that the display is OK but that something is generating an all white image.

btw, what is an LCD screen inverter and what is its function? This seems to be a small IC board situated between the mobo video system and the LCD display. Could this component be failing to function? Would it cause this type of issue?

Any info would be helpful, even if only rule out an inverter problem (probably the cheapest repair).

Thanks for any input,
...russ

Advertisements

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have the same WHITE effect with my old Phillips 15" LCD.
I've ripped it apart 2 weeks ago, to find out that one of the connectors is causing this. Simply reattaching and duck taping it again helped to solve the problem.

When it comes to a portable computer there is ussualy some problem with the connectors of the LCD display where the plastic bands (connects the LCD with the rest of the notebook).

I suggest you take the laptop to the nearest Toshiba repair service or (probably cheaper) nearest electric repair shop so they can identifiy the problem and repair it.

Report back on success!

A.

russw

russw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually I had taken this laptop to a Toshiba repair place that I had dealt with while my own Portege 7140 was having a speaker problem and a battery charging problem and was still on warranty last summer.

They told it the screen was bad. The reason I asked here was:
1.) Maybe someone here had a similar experience or knowledge of same.
2.) I had difficulty believing that if all pixel groups were active that the LCD panel was bad.

After posting here and trying to figure out what would be symptomatic of a bad inverter, I asked a company that supplies inverters about this. Their tech's reply was:

"The white screen is symptoms of a bad panel. The symptoms of the inverter board, would be no image. Please contact the manufacturer for replacement panels or just search online"

But your person hands on experience would be contradictary. So your screen was completely a bright white whole display?

I'll have to taken the bezel and hinge assy apart when I get some time to play with it. It gives a clean pic to an attached monitor.
...russ

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, it's completly bright, like somebody made a bad paint job :-)
I'll try to take a photo of it the next time it happens.

A.

But your person hands on experience would be contradictary.  So your screen was completely a bright white whole display?

I'll have to taken the bezel and hinge assy apart when I get some time to play with it.  It gives a clean pic to an attached monitor.
...russ

View Post