Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver from 2009? Notebook very slow suddenly. Replace drivers?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 July 2021 - 04:22 AM

When you return we will need you to completely shutdown the computer for ten minutes or so and then restart it using the power button, when you do this can you time how long it takes to get to the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

When you return we will need you to completely shutdown the computer for ten minutes or so and then restart it using the power button, when you do this can you time how long it takes to get to the Windows desktop from the moment that you press the power on button, you can use the second hand on a watch for this.

The reason why accessing the data drive is so slow is because of the low amount of free storage space on it, this was mentioned back in my reply #6 but you do not appear to have taken onboard the danger of the free storage space being so low, the below is my canned warning for situations like yours;

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update, on a mechanical HDD you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times and on an SSD between 10 and 20%, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which also puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive, this also to avoid data corruption.

Please note that storage devices can physically fail if the amount of free storage space is allowed to drop below the required 10 or 20/25% minimum.

Uninstall as many unused programs, games, videos and music files as you can and get yourself another means of backing up to asap.

Will catch up next weekend some time and you are welcome  :)

Advertisements

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
When you return we will need you to completely shutdown the computer for ten minutes or so and then restart it using the power button, when you do this can you time how long it takes to get to the Windows desktop from the moment that you press the power on button, you can use the second hand on a watch for this.

"Quick start" is turned off in the (energy or whatever it is called, ah, it must be the power settings) settings. 22 seconds it lasts until the desktop is shown.

The reason why accessing the data drive is so slow is because of the low amount of free storage space on it, this was mentioned back in my reply #6 but you do not appear to have taken onboard the danger of the free storage space being so low, the below is my canned warning for situations like yours;

Ah, sorry, yes, yes, I did, I had tried to say to have freed some space by saying: "I have freed some space on C: not its 31,9 GB of free storage." I assume, I meant something like: I have freed some space on C:, now its 31,9 GB of free storage.
At the moment I have 42,77 GB of free space there.

Will catch up next weekend some time and you are welcome  :)

Many thanks!

Edited by River Horse, 18 July 2021 - 07:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Things look a bit clearer to us now.

22 seconds to boot up is very good and especially when FastBoot is disabled, boot up times and the boot drive would therefore appear to be in the clear.

The free storage space on partition C: was not what was mentioned, please read again my reply #6 which includes the following " you only have 2% on the I: partition and are in danger of losing all data on that drive."

It is the WD Elements 25A3 USB device that is in danger of going into meltdown, this if it hasn`t already.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

OK, that sounds very good, thank you.

Ah, very sorry, I do not have any explanation (besides of stupidity or such of course) why I didn't pay attention to this (although I must have read it, how could I have missed that).

you only have 2% on the I: partition and are in danger of losing all data on that drive

Yes, of course, I immediately will move some data to get 25 % free space at least then. Many thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries but as also previously mentioned you need to check each one of your partitions, partition J: for example is down to only 7% of free storage space.

You do not need 25% on all partitions either, that is only for the boot drive so as to allow for major updates to be installed to, data only partitions just be sure to keep them above 10% and you will be fine.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Yes, of course, I will do so!

Sorry again for just ignoring your advices / instructions, really do not know how this could happen, does not make any sense. Thank you very much for your great help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No need for any apology, computer problems can be stressful and things get overlooked.

You are welcome  :)