Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing New RAM To Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Hello everyone.  Long time since I've been here as I haven't built or upgraded this PC in a while =(.

I have a question... well actually a few questions based on one topic.  Here's the basics of it.  I just bought two sticks of Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x8gb) to upgrade/add to my current system which only has two sticks of Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x4gb).  Both of the current RAM sticks (2x4gb) are on slots 1 and 3 on the motherboard.  I turned off the machine and unplugged the power cord.  I installed the new RAM in slots 2 and 4 and made sure they clicked in and were seated properly.  I turned on the PC and and I see the RGB on the CPU fan and other lights on the motherboard come on and fans spin on CPU and video card.  Then the PC turns off after about 5secs and turns on again.  This loop happened for a few times before I unplugged the power cord after it turned off as the power button would not stop the loop.  I then did these next steps to test the RAM.

1) Took out all RAM sticks and only installed new RAM (2x8gb) on slots 1 and 3.  Turned the PC on. Same loop happened as described above.

2) Added old RAM (2x4gb) to slot 2 and 4 with new RAM (2x8gb) still in slots 1 and 3.. Turned PC on. Same loop happens.

3) Took out all RAM again and only installed old RAM (2x4gb) in slots 1 and 3 just as it was before. Turned PC on and RGB lights turn on and fans spin on CPU and video card but then shuts off 5secs later.  By itself it turns on again a second after it powers down but then a few seconds later goes through the familiar boot sequence and goes to desktop like I am used to.

What is going on?  Are the two new sticks of RAM bad (2x8gb)?  Is there something I have to do in BIOS?  Did I install all four sticks correctly and I just have to let the computer do a loop a few times to correctly read the new RAM or configure itself somehow until it boots normally?  Please help. :smashcomp:

My PC, Mobo, and RAM specs are below:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.20 GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9         this is the RAM I originally have in my PC

Corsair Vengeance (2x8gb) CMZ16Gx3M2A1600C9       this is the RAM I want to add to my PC

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello TeachPower,

Try restoring the optimised settings in the BIOS before then shutting down and swapping in just the two new sticks into the two primary slots, slot/s one and two which are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

If still the same problem, try inserting just one of the two new sticks at a time into slot two and see what happens.

Post back with any update when ready or if you have any questions regarding the above tests.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Hello TeachPower,

Try restoring the optimised settings in the BIOS before then shutting down and swapping in just the two new sticks into the two primary slots, slot/s one and two which are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

If still the same problem, try inserting just one of the two new sticks at a time into slot two and see what happens.

Post back with any update when ready or if you have any questions regarding the above tests.

Excuse the seemingly basic questions as I have been out of the game of building PCs for a few years and I want to make sure I am 100% clear before I do something that will brick my PC.  The memory slots are labelled from nearest to farthest from the CPU as:

CPU

DDR3_4

DDR3_2

DDR3_3

DDR3_1

If I only have two sticks should they be installed in 4 and 3 OR 2 and 1?

If I get the two new sticks to work, should the larger memory sticks (2x8gb) be installed in the primary slots and the smaller sticks (2x4gb) in the secondary slots? Or does it even matter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Please read again my reply #2 which explains the slots you need to insert the RAM into + what to do if you still have the same issue.