Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows sleep mode and shutdown don't work anymore (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer OCman , 24 November 2021 - 04:28 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I ended up re-installing Windows 10 and it's all good now. Thanks for your help! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OCman

OCman

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

not sure why, but i re-installed the monitor driver and have the latest video card driver.

Disabled the screensaver and have the "balanced' setting enabled in the power plan setting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you tried a system restore point that is before the issue first happened.

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

No, it started about  months ago

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Sleep mode and restart option isn't working. I've read some help files and tried some basic things but no good.  When I try to restart or shut down it keeps looping. I do a hard shut down with the power button and it turns off then I hit the button again to turn it on and it goes off again then I have to hit the button a second time to turn it back on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

But have you checked to see if there is a restore point that is before it first happened.

I do a hard shut down with the power button 

Depending on how many times you have done this Windows may have become corrupted, having a restore point from about five weeks would be your best hope, let us know if you have such a restore point and we will go from there.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I don't have a restore point older than 2 weeks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem, lets try running the Windows AIO repair tool, see the below;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Will that link for a clean boot in windows 10?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

There may be the odd difference but the Windows 8.1 steps do for most users, you can follow the Windows 10 steps here if you like 

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
✓  Best Answer

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I ended up re-installing Windows 10 and it's all good now.

Thanks for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup: