Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nested 'IF' in Excel 2003

• Please log in to reply

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

I'm trying to have a cell display a value based on the value in another cell using the following criteria:

IF B2 = a certain number then F2 = a number based on the criteria in the following formula, unfortunately I can't seen to get the formula to work and can't find the error I'm making. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

=IF (B2>1.6,-2,"NOT", IF (B2>1.3, B2<1.6),-1,"NOT", IF (B2>1.2, B2 < 1.6), 0,"NOT", IF (B2 >0.9, B2<1.19), 1,"NOT", IF B2< 0.9, 2,"NOT")

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello Gumby,

Any help or ideas linked below.

IF function – nested formulas and avoiding pitfalls (microsoft.com)

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

OK, each of the following lines work independantly:

=IF(B2>1.6,-2

=IF (B2<1.6,-1)

=IF(B2>1.2,B2<1.29,0)

But this doesn't work when they're combined

=IF(B2>1.6,-2 IF (B2<1.6,-1), IF(B2>1.2,B2<1.29,0))

What am I doing wrong? I've read the page you directed me to and it's very similar to the pages I've already read but I'm not seeing my error.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Sorry I don't see the error either, that's why I directed you to that page. Is there any help online with excel that you know of ? What if you google "combine IF statements in excel or something?

Best I can offer for now.

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thanks again. I already googled IF statements and got a lot of hits. That's how I got this far. I just can't seem to get the multiple statements to work together, well, more than 2 at a time. I've seriously spend the whole day with this topic reading and re-working the formulae to no avail. I really wanted to automate this process rather than do 80 entries manually.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Your way ahead of me I have never used excel.  I couldn't help it and googled around, but getting late.  Did you see this page?  I wonder if there is any support on that page. I did not look around.

How to Use Multiple IF Statements in Microsoft Excel (techwalla.com)

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I checked out that page and more of the same. It did talk about the IFS function but that's not available in Excel 2003. Still stuck.

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I gave up. I checked out a video on VLOOKUP and that worked perfectly. Had to create the lookup tables in detail instead of using the greater than and less than symbols, but it still worked. Thanks for you help anyway.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

You're welcome !

Glad it's sorted and I know you are too....