Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow laptop! (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Rogu , 06 January 2022 - 05:08 PM

Thanks - I have uninstalled it and It is noticeably quicker. Windows also installed some updated drivers yesterday when I logged off which has helped. Appreciate the advice re: RAM. Kindest regar... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rogu

Rogu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, would really value your help. My laptop running windows 10 is suddenly super slow. I have tried av and avast free versions - no malware detected. The task manager shows high cpu and disk usage. Not sure what that means though. Thanks!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Rogu

Rogu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for your help ..

here is the Speccy profile

http://speccy.pirifo...pL7cD5aD8V6hq8g

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Only thing of note in Speccy is high memory usage and that is probably a mixture of two things, you only have one stick of RAM which means that it can only work in single channel + you have Avast installed which I`m sorry to say has become a bit of a monster, see the below;

Suggestions, look to add a second stick of RAM when you can, dual channel will mean that the RAM will be able to work at 2133MHz as opposed to the present 1064MHz that it is presently working at.

Get rid of Avast and stick with Windows Defender and Firewall.

You can uninstall Avast in the Control Panel but should you have any problems see Avast clean removal info here Please create a new system restore point first.

Avast admits to ‘unacceptable’ sharing of user data: what you need to know

Once Avast has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer. 

Rogu

Rogu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer
Thanks - I have uninstalled it and It is noticeably quicker. Windows also installed some updated drivers yesterday when I logged off which has helped.
Appreciate the advice re: RAM.
Kindest regards
Ro

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad we could help and thank you for the follow up Rogu  :thumbsup: