Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - cng and ntoskrnl (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 March 2022 - 01:03 PM

Your crash dmps are too old to be of any use I`m afraid, they need to be no more than two days old + before any new Windows or driver updates have been installed, that said your issues look to be h... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Hello,

Been dealing with a handful of bluescreens on my PC while playing certain games this month. One that I reliably reproduced (March 4th dmp files) by just launching a game was fixed by completely uninstalling my graphics driver and performing a fresh install. However, I have since encountered 2 more 'random' BSOD while randomly in one other game. I included a screenshot of the bluescreenview showing that cng.sys and ntoskrnl are the culprits for cause. Quick research shows this can often be a memory problem. I have already ran a windows memory test with found no errors. Not quite sure where to go from here. Windows shows no driver updates for my system, though 'Driver Booster', free from Steam detects I have 14 outdated drivers, I am simply a bit hesitant to trust a free product on identifying these correctly so have not updated them.

Any guidance on how to proceed in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. I also use this computer for remote work so anything risky such as restoring windows may be out of the question unless the issue worsens. Thank you very much for any assistance!

Attached Thumbnails

• bsv dump files.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

If the computer is a desktop can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Information attached as requested. The PC is a custom built PC, so I do not have a brand/model available for you.

http://speccy.pirifo...vAguPZX0hUcyoPO

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Your crash dmps are too old to be of any use I`m afraid, they need to be no more than two days old + before any new Windows or driver updates have been installed, that said your issues look to be hardware related looking at the last crash dmp and a brief look at your Speccy report.

Custom build = built by the user so how come you don`t know the PSU brand and model name or number  :headscratch:

If the below does not resolve the issue you will need to take off the side of the case and get the info off the PSUs data label.

CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GHz: 34 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1500MHz (16-16-16-36)

That is the wrong RAM for your CPU, Intel state here up to 2666MHz and if you have XMP enabled the RAM will get auto OCd past what the CPU can handle and the PC fall over.

Go into the BIOS, disable XMP and then manually set the RAM to run at 2666MHz and the voltage to 1.35V.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance

Change the Windows Power Plan to Balanced, Ultra and High Performance are a form of overclocking that is known to cause stability and overheating issues, the setting should only be used for gaming type notebooks that have a discrete GPU that needs the extra power. 

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Hi, sorry for the confusion. It is a prebuilt 'custom', not one I built myself. I was able to contact the company that built it and retrieve the model for you though - Thermaltake 600W Gold Power Supply SP-600AH2NCG

Odd the memory shows at 1500MHz, in the Performance tab of my task manager it shows it as 3000MHz. Is that meaning each 1 of the 4 DIMMs is running at 1500MHz? At any rate, its been running in this config since Feb 2018 so it has been known to be relatively stable, the BSOD's only started this month. 

As for the dmp files, I will see if I can get it to crash this weekend. There is one game that caused the last few that I haven't played since my last crash, hence the age. 

Edited by Trippster, 25 March 2022 - 04:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not the best of brand PSUs I`m afraid and for your hardware you really should have gone for a minimum of a 650W Gold efficiency rated PSU with a seven or ten year warranty from either Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic.

Odd the memory shows at 1500MHz, in the Performance tab of my task manager it shows it as 3000MHz. Is that meaning each 1 of the 4 DIMMs is running at 1500MHz?

No, what it means, you have two sticks of RAM which enables dual channel and XMP, this equates to 2133MHz when XMP is disabled and 3000MHz when XMP is enabled, if there was only the one stick present the RAM can only work in single channel and XMP cannot be enabled, this means that the RAM can only run at 50% of what it is capable of when in dual channel and because it cannot be overclocked it means that the RAM can only work at circa 1066MHz.

At any rate, its been running in this config since Feb 2018 so it has been known to be relatively stable, the BSOD's only started this month. 

We can only advise you on what we can see and fwiw I try not to advise on anything that cannot be backed up and in this instance Intel supports what you have been advised about the RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Trippster , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

I haven't encountered another BSOD, and if it is due to unsupported memory I don't think I can easily make changes to this so we can mark is as resolved via inaction/luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The memory is supported, it is just that it needs to be manually OCd as opposed to allowing XMP to do it.

Did you change the Windows Power Plan as was also suggested.

Good news on no more BSOD, have you tried playing the game that you mentioned seemed to be causing the crashes.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Yes I did change to balanced power plan, and yes I have played ~2-3 hours of the problematic game without any issues. I also updated my audio drivers after I was able to find they were 2 years outdated.

Windows can be a fickle beast at times...

Edited by Trippster, 01 April 2022 - 11:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Does suggest that the issue is now resolved and thanks for letting us know, thread marked accordingly.