Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC is showing internet connection but will only go to select url's

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I am running an HP23-Q128 all in one with Windows 10 Home.  I lost the onboard network card (would not respond) so I added a wired system. It is 2 ac plug in boxes with an ethernet plugin one of which connects to the gateway and in my computer room I plug in the second box and ethernet to my pc.  It shows an internet connection, "identifying"  I can go to several favorite sites but on about half of them shows page not found.  I go to my laptop and those url's are all correct...Is there a way to verify the integrity of the connection or even reset it?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello geno368

In some cases, flushing the DNS cache may help. You can flush the DNS by holding down the Windows key on your keyboard and pressing R to bring up the Run box. Then type the following, then press Enter:

ipconfig /flushdns   note the space.

If that does not work try below:

Reset TCP/IP

Select “Start“, and type “CMD“
    Right-click “Command Prompt“, then choose “Run as Administrator“.
    Select “Yes” on the User Account Control box.
    From the command prompt, type the following, then press “Enter“:

netsh int ip reset  Note the spaces.

Restart your computer, then try to see if you can access the Internet from a browser now. Hopefully, you can.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

thanks for the reply...I will try this today when I get home..BTW, after studying more info, what about ipconfig /release and renew?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

what about ipconfig /release and renew?

Oh yes absolutely try that too if needed.

You can also reset the Network settings in windows 10 See below:

https://www.lifewire...dows-10-4684679