Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting internet to work after reformat

• Please log in to reply

Term

Term

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well i just reformated windows XP. i have a cable connection (comcast) but i can't seem to get it to work. i tried setting up a connection but it dosen't work.Basic stuff be hey, i'm an idiot...it dosen't seem to detect my cable connection...help!

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
chek all settins .. thats it .. or reinstall it

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
If you still can't get it call comcast and have them walk you through it. It will be annoying, but at least then you know your doing everything exactly how they want it. Also, did you try the basic unplugging the modem to reset it. I know I have sometimes overlooked this step because its so basic, but sometimes that actually works.

Term

Term

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well, a friend told me that i messed up while setting up. he said right before it asks you to make a user name it asks you if you want to connect to the internet. well the first time i clicked yes and it didn't work out. he said that i need to press no, so i did what he said. But when i went into control panel+network and internet connections it showed NOTHING just blank. did i set it up wrong again or what? (i'm on my brother's computer to clear up any confusion since i'm online)

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well, you definetely don't have to set it up with windows XP when it asks you at upon the initial installation. If you go to "Network Connections" under the control panel you should see local area connection. If it is not there, then you need to create a new connection

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Often when you can't "create a new connection", and XP doesn't "see" the LAN, there is a problem with the NIC or ethernet card. Check in Device Manager for problems, uninstall, reboot, reinstall etc... physically reseat the card or try a known good one.

Johanna