Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up AMD Athlon XP 2600 problems

• Please log in to reply

Hosonagai

Hosonagai

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't know much about PC, enough to replace a motherboard.

I recently formatted my PC and installed a new Windows XP Pro system on it. All seems to me ok, but it hangs or is very slow at times when working compared before it was formatted.

I thought a format would give it a good spring clean and speed it back up again, so you can see why I'm a bit puzzled.

I use and MSI KT4v mobo with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor with 1GB of ram and 40gb hard drive. This all ran fine and cool before I formatted it. I have now noticed when looking at my system properties that the process is running at 1.98Ghz and running temp is around 51-59C.

Have I got my FSB set wrong? why is it now running slower? Can anyone help me please?

Thank you

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Athlons dont have a FSB. Windows xp pro would be an obvious thing try reinstalling what you had before to eliminate that as a factor.
Was your processor running faster than 1.98Ghz before? 51-59 idle or load temp and what was it before?
A problem i had once was after i had reformatted my HD my pc was runnin a bit slower and it began to crash and there were alot of errors. I tryed reformating in ntfs agian as it was in fat before. Worked fine if a bit slow and started to die again. I gave up and took a look inside and discovered a yellow liquid leaking from the HD i can only assume this was the fluid bearing as i dont know anyother liquid inside. So i would take a look inside and maybe get a new HD if there are any liquids appearing in the case. 40 gigs is a bit small for this day and age anyway.

Cant think why your cpu would be affected unless you played with your bios settings if you did reset them to default and see what happens.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
im still using a 40 gig drive lol.
havent been able to fill it up yet. hehe
play a few games at a time browse the net. every 3 months reformat because of curupted files. (using 2k). i kept killing xp in 1 month so i went back to 2000 lol. 98 it was around 2 weeks or so that was really anoiying

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
usually a format and clean install will speed things up, why you are now having problems is a puzzle.
I can tell you that the processor running at 1.98 ghz is correct so don't change it.

There are two areas of concern with what you have told us so far 1st is the cpu temp and 2nd the system hangs, this could be related but first answer me this,
did the computer hang before the format?

If it did then I think this is because of the cpu temp, open the case and see if the hs (heatsink) is clogged with dust if it is clean with a can of compressed air and report back your temps.

If the computer did not hang before the format I would format again and reistall using NTSF file system

Then make sure you load the chipset drivers these come on a cd that came with the mobo (motherboard)
Then load all the other drivers for cards,sound ect.
Then get a virus scan
Then get all the MS critical updates

Try these and report back

Rick

Hosonagai

Hosonagai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great help thanx.

Will try popping PC open annd checking out dust on fan etc.

It may take me a while, so please bare with me.

Thanx again :tazz:

Hosonagai

Hosonagai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What's the best way to format my PC?

Should I just stick in my WIndows XP disk and reboot with CD support or reboot from a floppy and format from there?

I did have problems when formatting from a floppy, I had to delete ALL DOS partitions and then add an extended DOS partion, then boot from the Windows CD, Format in NTSF format, new partition and then install. Was that all a bit wrong?

Thank you for your help :tazz:

PS i did change my BIOS settings but on the clock frequency.

Edited by Hosonagai, 21 June 2005 - 02:21 PM.