Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary hard disk drive 0 failure

• Please log in to reply

NYMom

NYMom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer had stopped booting up. I had a lsass application error, but I took out the CD that was in the computer and now I have the following message on my screen:

Primary hark disk drive 0 failure
Strike the F1 key to continue F2 key to run setup utility

I have all the original software that came with the computer. I just don't want to lose my data.

Help!
:tazz:

Thanks!

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
make sure everything is connected, first of all. it sounds like you could have a problem with the boot sector, or a damaged HDD. i would reccomend booting up with another HDD, with your current one set as SLAVE (look on hard drive for jumper settings) and see if it works. if it does, i would just copy your files and wipe it.

NYMom

NYMom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I have the new hard drive but have not idea how to install it or slave the old one. Any recommendations for where I can get explicit instructions? I'm on hold with Dell but it's taking forever.
Appreciate any advice you can give.... :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To start with, you might want to try to repair the old disk by putting in the Repair CD Rom, and hitting the F2 key as instructed.

If that fails, take out the old hard drive and put in the new one set to master or cable select (in newer systems) and put in the first installation CD and boot up. You may need to go into Setup (see the installation tutorials at the top of the Operating systems forum for help) and install the operating system on the new drive. You will need your product key, on your Windows book or the side of the computer case. The new drive will probably need to be formatted, how you do that depends your OS.

After you've installed the operating system hook up the old drive as slave, or cable select and transfer your data to the new drive if you can get it to see the old one.