Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading advice

• Please log in to reply

Drezz

Drezz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ello everyone, I just registered because I can't decide what to do regarding the upgrading of my PC and would like some advice =)

I have:
875p Neo MSI motherboard,
3GHz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading,
256Mb 9800XT Hercules,
2GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM.

I have about ₤600-700 of spare cash and am not sure what I should upgrade, what I have been thinking is that I should get one of the funky new X800 graphics cards but the problem is that the new PCI express has just come out so I am not sure if I should waste money on a new AGP graphics card but I don't know if I really have enough cash to get a new PCI express equipt motherboard and a graphics card. The other thing I was thinking of upgrading was the CPU but I am not sure if it is worth spending loads of money on a new intel EE, maybe I should just wait for intel to bring out some 64 bit chips...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Drezz, 20 June 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
heres a list
case antec aria
pentium m 1.6ghz
aopen 915GM MATX
muskin ddr2 ram
sapphire x800xl
about £600

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why would he get a slower cpu? You could get a new mobo and cpu as well as a x800 they arent all that expensive for a vanilla one. Keep your case if you want and carry your ram across. You might be able to keep that cpu if it is in the newer socket but you could use the oppertunity to get a good AMD as you sound like a gamer.
Intel have allready brought out 64bit chips they just suck in comparison to the AMDs unless you use 64bit hyperthreaded applications(which not many people do) you are better off with amds they are also cheaper. Intels at the moment have been consitently thrashed by amds, they brought out a cheap dual core and it was rubbish, it was a good idea though it was a shame it wasnt anygood.