Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin Error during Install

• Please log in to reply

richv

richv

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to install the free program I get the following error:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications..."

I tried to do this under my account, which has admin privliges and my administrator account.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what was the program? Is this computer a home computer or work computer?

richv

richv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was the new version of ad-aware SE personal. I was placing it on my laptop which I use for work. I'm in the road connected to the internet through a hotel LAN connection.

I'm running Win XP Pro.

Edited by richv, 21 June 2005 - 08:43 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, you use it for work....is the laptop normally joined to a domain?

Even if you have admin status, a group policy can prevent you from loading applications

richv

richv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Although I join a domain when I connect via VPN I am not connected now. I had the previous version of ad-aware on this machine before.

I went to login as admin not connected to the domain and I still get the same error. I loaded the operating system on this laptop myself and loaded all of the programs. This is the first one to give me this error.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my point is, though, that when joined to the domain, a group policy could have been added to your machine to prevent you from loading any programs.

additionally, a number of malware programs target removal tools and prevent them from being loaded....such a program may prevent you from installing lavasoft's utility

what made you think you needed to install adaware? A malware infection is suspected?

richv

richv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There are no restriction on my machine as far as the programs I can install.

I had the previous version of Ad-aware and I tried to run it. It told me a new version was out so I downloaded it off the site.

The new install removed the older program and than gave me the failure when it tried to load.