Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

echet

echet

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
How good is Windows Firewall for a casual user who's not very tech savvy. If combined with Avast and Microsoft security Essentials, would it be enough?

Edited by echet, 08 October 2012 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Firewall for the average user is well enough for your needs.
Now the second part you are combining two AV programs which is never a good ideal. They can produce false positive reports and slow your system down. For you I would suggest MSE as your av and then you should have no compatibility issues since your firewall and av would both be like Microsoft.
As a dded protection I would suggest Malwarebytes since it is a malware program and is not real time in the free version. You can run it when you would like to scan your system for little hidden critters.
Download Malwarebyte's from my signature below or from the link below.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

echet

echet

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
 I didn't know MSE was a full anti-virus program. I just thought it was real-time malware protection, similar to SpywareGuard.  Thanks for the tip. I already plan on using Malwarebytes too. 

Edited by echet, 08 October 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Streetwise

Streetwise

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
What do you guys think of these tests [link removed]

edit by admin: I removed your link as the results were outdated, and more importantly all affiliate links (spammy).

Edited by admin, 19 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.
Removed link that was outdated and spammy

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Malwarebytes came out with the beta test of their new product call Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. I tried it out last night and it looks promising and worth a try.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Malwarebytes' Anti-rootkit is not an anti-virus or anti-spyware program, it's an actual removal program to be used when you have a rootkit. Having that program installed on your PC is not going to prevent malware, only remove it.

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
It's been quite some time since I've visited this thread. I was just wondering, because I was thinking about setting up a firewall, I notice Comodo is no longer in the list. Is it unsupported nowadays? Just not as good as the others? Just wondering.

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
FYI... PC Tools has retired Threatfire as a standalone tool... it's now included in their Internet Security which is a subscription... You might want to edit the OP and remove it from the "Other Free Tools" part of the post... http://www.pctools.c...en_tf-site_2012

Attached Thumbnails

• threatfire.JPG

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks, I updated the original post. Will do other updating soon.

sok46

sok46

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Two years I used Kaspersky, but few days ago I started to use avast and is great antivirus

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi sok46,

If you haven't used the Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (kavremover) it would be in your best interest to do so to prevent conflict of residual files left behind when you uninstalled Kaspersky.

If you have any questions or concerns, please start a thread in the Geeks to Go Forums > Software > Applications sub-forum and any one of our dedicated members would be more than happy to help you.

Donna :)

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
hello
Was just wondering if the lists for free antivirus,firewalls etc. could be updated.
Had zonealarm but now that keeps throwing up an upgrade box and then tried online armor but that is only 30 day trial.
Was using gtg recommendations for years happily but if not up to date so sad.

thanks

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

hello
Was just wondering if the lists for free antivirus,firewalls etc. could be updated.
Had zonealarm but now that keeps throwing up an upgrade box and then tried online armor but that is only 30 day trial.
Was using gtg recommendations for years happily but if not up to date so sad.

thanks

Hello and welcome back!
The list has been updated on 15 March 2013, and the information there is still valid.
For the free anti-virus products, I personally don't recommend Avira these days, only because of the software bundled with it, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! are great programs, but please remember that you only need one anti-virus program. Also, if switching to a different one, you will most likely need the removal tool produced by the maker of the AV that you will be uninstalling, to fully remove it.

You don't mention the OS of the computer you have, but I would suggest that if it's Vista or Win 7-8, you use the built in Windows Firewall, as it's pretty effective blocking incoming and outgoing connections, and there is no need to register or buy anything and best of all it's free.

Which AV program do you have on there now?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It does need an update. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

sok46

sok46

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks DonnaB I will try Kaspesky removal tool you have recommended.