Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Only what I have read online.

If you need help with removing malware from your computer, please start here.

If you have an interest in learning how to remove malware, please start here.

Donna :)

Advertisements

davidmartin

davidmartin

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
One of my friends suggested me to choose a paid software. Can anyone tell me which is the best option to go with - a free antivirus software or paid version?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
You can get perfectly good AV protection for free such as Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials, use any one of the three for XP, Vista and Windows 7, if you are running Windows 8 or 8.1 you can simply use Windows Defender as it offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Hope this answers your question.

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I would like some updated suggestions for an Free A/V for xp. since Microsoft is terminating updates for MSE for xp

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Thanks alot everyone for making such a nice topic. :)

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 29 July 2014 - 05:56 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

You can get perfectly good AV protection for free such as Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials, use any one of the three for XP, Vista and Windows 7, if you are running Windows 8 or 8.1 you can simply use Windows Defender as it offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

I had MSE installed but removed it because it said it was no longer supporting XP updates. I wonder if you can install Windows Defender on XP? Probably not, right? Right now I am using Avast! and the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Appears to have zero conflict problems.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

No, you will not be protected. Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer available for download on Windows XP, for starters, but even if you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you still won't be protected—even though you'll continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time. This is because Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other third-party antivirus software for that matter) will have limited effectiveness on PCs that do not have the latest security updates. What does this mean for you? That your PC running Windows XP will not be secure and will still be at risk for infection.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

No, you will not be protected. Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer available for download on Windows XP, for starters, but even if you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you still won't be protected—even though you'll continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time. This is because Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other third-party antivirus software for that matter) will have limited effectiveness on PCs that do not have the latest security updates. What does this mean for you? That your PC running Windows XP will not be secure and will still be at risk for infection.

As soon as you're running Windows XP you're vulnerable. Antivirus installed or not.

Nightfall

Nightfall

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

These are pretty good, you should also include Panda Cloud Anti-Virus.

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi,

when I click on the link to Microsoft for Microsoft Securiyty Essentials on page 1 here in this thread, I get to the Windows website to do with MSE,

but I don't see a download button. 

I have Windows 8

Thanks for helping the blind man!!!

Sven

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

In Windows 8, Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials

Source.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It looks like this guide will need to be updated soon :P

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Aura, we're well aware that this needs to be updated. Your comments are unnecessary. If there's nothing constructive to add to a thread, please refrain from posting to reduce the topic subscription replies for everyone else. 

SvenT

SvenT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Dakeyras,

thanks for the link and also, from the little that I know, some computer companies ship their new computers with a trial of McAffee or Norton for a few weeks,

when as far as I know it is not a good idea to have 2 different anti virus softwares running on one and the same computer, so what is one supposed to do?

Or does MS Defender not count?

Thanks, Sven

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

SvenT,

You are correct that it's not a good idea to have two antivirus programs running at the same time. Since the computer manufacturers do only ship trial versions, then you should uninstall the trial and install something like Defender instead. If you're going to uninstall a trial one, I suggest downloading the uninstall utility for the program as well, to make sure all the remnants are completely removed. 

Do you have another antivirus currently installed?