Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
AVG recently released Version 8.0 Free edition which adds some nice features. Anybody found any in-depth reviews and comparisons to Avast and other free anti virus competitors?

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
They will probably be available only when all of the brands released their new products.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'll be updating this shortly. There have also been some changes to the anti-malware applications. One difficulty of a post containing this many applications is that it's difficult to keep it 100% up-to-date at all times. However, it is regularly updated.

PaulT2

PaulT2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The online Panada active scan I ran on my roomate's computer did allow for removal and disinfection, only on higher level infections, contrary to the OP. About 20 or so more infections existed as far as spyware/adware are concerned, and he wouldve had to pay 20 dollars or whatever the charge is to have them remove it.

Considering that he ran superantispyware and malwarebytes, I'm wondering what other spyware scanners people use, if any.

I reformatted and have installed Spywareblaster w/ spyware guard for protection against infection. I've learned the hard way now that prevention is far better than removal.

Does anyone have success with this program and its counterpart?

What other programs are people using on this list?

I'm curious to know if anyone is ever fully clean and protected.

ATF Cleaner wasn't on this list. Is this not the more preferred temporary file/browser cleaner? I found it in some topic here and it's been very helpful.

Edited by PaulT2, 22 June 2008 - 10:27 PM.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Would just like to add ShieldsUp!

A free online scan to see how well your computer is protected against online attacks...

SpuD

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I've been learning a lot here and have a quick question on multi-anti-spyware programs:

I understand not to have RUNING more than one antispyware/virus program at a a time but Sari said not to have more than one INSTALLED at a time...Does this mean not to have them on my computer at all or can I leave a couple of the best and click on the icon when I want to run one. I prefer to have verification from more than one program that I am clean; or do you just mean don't run more than one REALTIME scanner at a time?
Also, why does this editor flag words such as spyware with the spellchecker's red underline? These are valid words in the computing lexicon and not colloquialisms. They need NOT be hyphenated either, as it has become the accepted standard in English to close compound words, i.e. groundwater, spellcheck. :-)

Edited by sari, 31 August 2008 - 12:56 PM.
removed inappropriate word

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The reason I said not to have more than one installed is because by default they'll run in the background automatically, thus causing conflicts. Although that can be disabled, people might not know to do that and end up with problems. If you want verification that you're clean, you'd be better off running an online scan periodically, like Kaspersky, than having 2 AVs on your PC.

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sari-
Thanks for the feedback and clarification. I'll be sure only one is switched on. Malware removal programs are like guns, you can get by with just one, but it's best to have several types available just in case.
I just downloaded MBAM, as RedHat is helping me verify my system is clean in another thread.
Oh, sorry about the inappropriate word you had to edit out. I should have used the synonym "RichardCranium".

Thanks Again

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I saw that Rathat is helping you - you're in good hands.

By the way, Firefox has a spellchecker and that's probably what flagged spyware. Being in the computer lexicon is not the same as being in a standard dictionary. It doesn't like malware either.

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sari-
Thanks again, and yes, RatHat did a great job. Give the standard dictionary a few years to catch up (ketchup?), you wouldn't believe some of the colloquial American cultural garbage and trademarks that end up in there. :)

Advertisements

mismi

mismi

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
SteveFAL-

I think that you are reading the post wrong about having more than one protection program installed at once. You can (and should) have multiple spyware/adware/malware scan/removal programs at your disposal installed. The issue is having multiple Antivirus Programs installed simultaneously. Conflicts can arise if you do - so you should not have more than one at any time.

Hope this helps.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The issue is not just antivirus programs. Having more than one firewall or more than one memory-resident anti-spyware program is also an issue. You can have passive scanners installed, but you don't want multiple real-time protection programs installed. That being said, you can have scanners installed along with the real-time protection programs, so that you can run scans periodically.

mismi

mismi

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok - I see what you are saying and totally agree.

Thanks,

mismi

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome. :)

the chemist

the chemist

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Brilliant informative and just what I was here to ask.
I notice Authentium is not a bad product, but what does it mean it can't disinfect?
Is that just the free one?
pcguard is closely linked in many people's mind with rubbish, but pcguard is actually an Authentium product and updates itself 4 times a day. If the pcguard is Authentium Command, then as a free add-on for Virginmedia broadband customers it might actually be not a bad deal.
Any ideas?