Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

mahamonkeymojo

mahamonkeymojo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

i stumbled upon this while trying to clean my computer - only second time infected in 26years

I had ClamWin or another one installed, but it completely disappeared, no sign of it in program files, add/remove software etc. and i only noticed after my bf's computer was infected and i went to double check mine.  Most bizarre thing i have ever seen.

Anyhow, i know you all are working on an update to this thread, so i wanted to let you know that neither AVAST nor MalwareBytes found the trojans and worms on my Win7 or his Vista machine.  Only ClamWin has found them.  Granted the removing of them was not successful with ClamWin, but the others aren't even finding them. (yes i only had one operating at a time.)

these are the five:

C:\Users\katija\AppData\Local\Google\Google Talk Plugin\googletalkplugin.dll: Win.Trojan.Nimnul-23 FOUND
C:\Users\katija\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.3.24.15\GoogleUpdateBroker.exe: Win.Worm.Runouce-1007 FOUND
C:\Users\katija\AppData\Local\Google\Update\Download\{D0AB2EBC-931B-4013-9FEB-C9C4C2225C8C}\5.4.2.18903\googletalkpluginaccel.msi: Win.Trojan.Nimnul-23 FOUND
C:\Users\katija\Documents\Updater\bridge1\OLSUpdater_1.exe: Win.Trojan.Generickd-746 FOUND
C:\Windows\Installer\54ea051.msi: Win.Trojan.Nimnul-23 FOUND

I did see that it is recommended to reinstall OS with Nimnul-23, so that explains why ClamWin not clearing them.

will move over to other threads if i get stuck on this one, i just wanted to give you feedback that those two programs (that i've used for a decade or so) failed me this time.

look forward to the update!

thx

Advertisements

wangliang5

wangliang5

• Pip
  • 7 posts

thanks a lot 

101findme

101findme

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

thanks for the info

naqeeb123

naqeeb123

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Shadow Defender Free Giveaway offers get it instandly its clossing soon open for only 4 days i think upto 21 Aug. 

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It appears that this has a few links that no longer work and online armor free firewall I cannot find do they even do this anymore? if they do can some one point me to a link?

Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi HolyCowz,

I am sad to say that Online Armor by Emsisoft is no longer available nor supported. See here.

As once quoted by Elise (Malware analyst @ Emsisoft)

Truth is, a software firewall is nice, but only if you have specific needs and want to filter/monitor network traffic. For most computer users a router combined with Windows7/8's firewall is more than enough from a security point of view. :)

I would only recommend a software firewall for users with Windows XP and no router, and honestly even then, using an outdated/unsupported OS version just puts you at risk, even with firewall.

I tend to agree with her, though that is my personal opinion. Same goes for Vista now that it is no longer supported. If you feel the need or prefer to use a 3rd party firewall, please feel free to start a separate topic here in the Applications forum. Anyone of our dedicated members would be more than happy to discuss and/or direct you to one that would meet your needs.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Thank you DonnaB

will this original topic get an upgrade as a few of the links for me also do not work anymore.

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I believe free antivirus hardly able to provide a good security.

Why to risk of safety when choosing free programs?