Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I was wondering if anyone has by chance tried out COMODO a/v. It is installed by default with the latest version of their firewall.

Advertisements

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I notice that AVG no longer has an AVG anti-spyware and has instead merged its anti-virus software together with the former anti-spyware. This should be noted by those who use other anti-virus software (I use McAfee) since upgrading could result in the problems of using two anti-virus programs. Could anyone confirm that this would be the case - I am going to remove ACG anti-spyware since it is hassling me to upgrade on a daily basis now.

Scotty5

Scotty5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm a rookie at Geeks to go, and computers in general, and am confused as to what type of spyware, malware, etc... programs to have on my machine. My machine is running slowly and I am going through the basic "first time users" steps. I did the system restore and ERUNT and then I downloaded Malwarebytes (as recommended by Geeks) and ran the program. It found 68 problems which were corrected (deleted). I also made sure that I had the correct Windows updates done.

Your steps say to make sure you have an anti-virus application and that you run it. You proceed to list a number of them. I downloaded and ran AVG. After that, I'm a little confused here.... do I need one program for spyware and another one for viruses? I have the Malwarebytes and I also downloaded AVG and ran that. Do I need more (or do you recommend something that's better than AVG and free?). I'm almost ready to download the "hijack this" to see what else might be going on, but before I did that, I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Oh.... I also had a friend tell me to use Spybot search and destroy. So, that is also on my machine. I think I am partially on the right track, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Bonjovicrzy

Bonjovicrzy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I want to put my 2 cents in if I may .. first of all Geeks To Go Rocks and all of your hard work is appreciated .. a year ago I had a paid Anti-virus and I had it over 5-7 years with no problem but last year I got a virus and even though PC Cellion customer service was very good and they tried their best to help me we could not fix my computer within 1- 2 weeks time frame

.. I then did research and found this site the tools and the instructions they recommend to everyone to do .. did the trick I did not even have to ask for help they had all the info and tools in a previous post .. I got rid of PC Cellion and never regretted it I tried all the free tools to see which worked best for me and my pc I ended up using the free Avast Anti-virus (only thing I do not like about is the sound but please turn the warning buzzer sound option off like Geeks recommends... it is Loud! ) if you take 10-15 minutes to sit and lean the controls this is a awesome an easy little anti-virus program .. and I use the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware,along with Spywareblaster & Spywareguarde and I would not trade none of the 5 tools matter fact I liked SUPERAntiSpyware so well I use it as my main Anti-spyware & I bought the paid verision so I could get the automatic updates and I use only the Malwarebytes when I need it 1-2 times a week and I just love the free tool CCleaner and I run a online scan once a month but I like to know I am covered

I tried all the firewalls that was recommend but I did not like them I use the free Online Armour and like it ( if you have the user controls set right you do not know it is there unless you install or it blocks something their customer service forum for both paid and free versions are wonderful .. I just bought the paid version of Online due to banking options but I like their free one to ... and I recommend this site and all the free tools that I use to family and friends ... .. I keep coming back here though to see what is new and to keep updated of if something happens that I have a bug ( not all is 100 % ) I know I am in good hands if it happens I know this is very long but wanted you to know this place and the tools they recommended..are tops

Edited by Bonjovicrzy, 31 January 2009 - 03:17 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Bonjovicrzy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts. We always appreciate feedback so we can know if the information and guides we have on the site are helpful.

Bonjovicrzy

Bonjovicrzy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
you are very welcome Sari even though I do not post much .. the site's recommendations and the free tools that I use has saved my computer and saved ,me allot of headache and my hair ... I am not pulling it out .. if Megabytes Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware and Avast finds something it quarantine's it and fixes it ..

but I have a question I was here last night doing my monthly online virus scan and I usually scan it online 2 times from different companies I usually use Trend Micro House Call & AVG/ Ewido ..but AVG was down last night and Panda you must be approved first to use it .. so I used the F-Secure for the first time it confused me some .. it said it skips files not sure if that is good thing or not .. but everything else including Trend Micro Online says I am clean

.. is there a online scanner you recommend over the others .. to be the best ..& I was told but not sure if it is the truth ... that Kaspersky blogs the computer down and it is hard to delete what they install to scan and I already have allot on this pc

Edited by Bonjovicrzy, 31 January 2009 - 03:54 PM.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You could try ESET's online scanner.

Edited by karbo, 31 January 2009 - 04:00 PM.

Shadan

Shadan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
there are indeed lots of good resources ,I 'll have a try one of them untill I unformat my laptop:

I am using Sumsung R18 plus which was bought half year ago.The laptop is not good but I like it a lot. Last night I formatted my D drive by mistake and lost all data. That data is very very important for me. I now wanna recover that data. I heard there are some unformat recovery software . I tried to findout using google ,it shows several result . such as EASEUS DATA RECOVEY WIZARD, ONTRACK EASY RECOVERY ,RECOVERY MY FILES and so on,
but all of them are a little expensive for me a poor student.

Anyone, please help me & guide me that how I can choose the data recovery software for my formatted partition before it costs me dozens of dollars.
I link softwares to them website, and hope anyone know or have used the software can suggest the best one to me.

darren1

darren1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm a little confused, and would like a little clarification, if that's possible.

I am currently running Windows Live Once Care Protection, on the basis that it was free, and I thought it would be good to try out.
I have now learned through, friends telling me things, and reading people's posts in here, that some of my trusted programs that I left for one care is much better than I thought it was.

would having CA (Previously evet trust) be a good program to use as a free trial, (thats all I can provide about the product its self) it says its a free trial, and as previously having their antivirus combo pack back when it was Evet trust, and scince having ym pc re-formated and such, i have been using AVG Free, and have run up a brick wall that Avast has fixed for me =)

I was running Avast and AVG 8.0 Free together and didnt have much problem's.

Would changing to CA Antivirus + Antispyware be a good alternate to go upto, or would it be better to return back to AVG 8.0 Free??

The person that reformatted my pc personally put avg 8.0 on my pc, and did not recommend CA, but it has came a long way in the past year, and id like a second opinion to myself and my friends (is that a 3rd opinion?)

I hope this post didn't confuse you.

Also, may I suggest that you update the list on the first post, as some of it seems really out dated, and most people are now downloading a NEWER version of avg :)

Thank you for any assistance given, I am more than willing to clarify this a little more.

darren1

darren1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm a little confused, and would like a little clarification, if that's possible.

I am currently running Windows Live Once Care Protection, on the basis that it was free, and I thought it would be good to try out.
I have now learned through, friends telling me things, and reading people's posts in here, that some of my trusted programs that I left for one care is much better than I thought it was.

would having CA (Previously evet trust) be a good program to use as a free trial, (thats all I can provide about the product its self) it says its a free trial, and as previously having their antivirus combo pack back when it was Evet trust, and scince having ym pc re-formated and such, i have been using AVG Free, and have run up a brick wall that Avast has fixed for me =)

I was running Avast and AVG 8.0 Free together and didnt have much problem's.

Would changing to CA Antivirus + Antispyware be a good alternate to go upto, or would it be better to return back to AVG 8.0 Free??

The person that reformatted my pc personally put avg 8.0 on my pc, and did not recommend CA, but it has came a long way in the past year, and id like a second opinion to myself and my friends (is that a 3rd opinion?)

I hope this post didn't confuse you.

Also, may I suggest that you update the list on the first post, as some of it seems really out dated, and most people are now downloading a NEWER version of avg :)

Thank you for any assistance given, I am more than willing to clarify this a little more.

I suppose this is a bump :)

Advertisements

Bonjovicrzy

Bonjovicrzy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks Karbo for the online scanner recommendation .. I checked it and looks like a good one I bookmarked it .. .. will use it next weekend on my monthly online scan

Darren sorry I can not give you any recommendations except for the programs & tools I listed above in my last post # 64 that is what I use .. I did try AVG before Avast and did not like it as well as Avast .. but that is me I am sure there is better members who can give you better advice .. I am no computer person when it comes in to this part of keeping the pc safe and running .. :) only thing I know well is Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro .. I wish you the best and keep us posted I am always looking for good advice and awesome tools

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

I suppose this is a bump :)

You can't bump a sticky :)

First off, you shouldn't run two antivirus programs at the same time. The two programs will conflict with each other lowering security.. I have seen instances where one AntiVirus deleted some of the other AintVirus's files, etc, etc...

Secondly, trial's are good to see if it's a good program that you want to buy. However, you don't want to run a trial as your AV forever. After the trial period ends, the AntiVirus will become outdated, and non-useful...

There are plenty of free AntiVirus programs out there! You've mentioned two of them, but there is also Avira... Remember: only one at a time!

darren1

darren1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that guy's, but iv changed my mind, and im going to go with Avast! home edition (the free one) and go with Superantispyware as my antispyware

QUOTE (darren1 @ Feb 20 2009, 11:29 PM) *
I suppose this is a bump

You can't bump a sticky :)

In a way you can, but I dont wanna discuss that.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Okay! :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I think it has already been pointed out, but anyways:

COMODO Firewall comes with their AV at installation by default... Perhaps a little note can be added about this? Just to ensure that people don't get confused, as you can't download the firewall individually...

Edited by piano9playa5, 28 February 2009 - 02:58 PM.