Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

salguod

salguod

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
When was this last updated? The post date is 2003, but I know it's been updated since.

Would it be possible to get a 'last updated' line at the top of the first post? That would be very helpful.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The last post in that topic was
Jun 1 2009, 02:57 AM

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If memory serves me it was last updated about 18 months ago. It is in need of an update, and I'll be doing that very soon. :)

salguod

salguod

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, rshaffer61, but what I meant was when was the info in post #1 last updated. There's no date on it other than the original post date back in 2003.

Admin, thanks. If you could put an updated date in there I think that would help folks know how current the info is.

charles.actuary

charles.actuary

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I'm re-securing my son's machine after an infection that you helped to sort out - thank you.

A question. The machine runs Windows Vista so has Windows Defender as standard. Will this conflict with another virus scanner eg mcAfee? If so, can I uninstall Defender?

Will spyware protection programs also conflict eg McAfee and Superantispyware, or can I run 2 (or more) at a time?

Charles

chalao

chalao

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
umm i was wondering if you can have 1 of each spyware,antivirus,malware(is this like spyware? i still trying to learn computer words) install into your computer? i heavent read all the post yet so you guys might of already said it but can u guys still reply.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi Chalao,
First off the term "malware" means anything thats malicious software, that being viruses, spyware, adware, rootkits on so one. Hope that clears thatt question up.
Ok about having different scanners installed. The answer is yes of course you can and SHOULD. Having more than one opinion = less false positives and can remove other malware that the other scanners could have missed. If you want free protection, here are my recommendations.

1:"Malwarebytes anti malware" Cleans nearly all types of malware, although can miss rootkits.
2:"Superantispyware" Yes there is no spaces in the word. This app cleans adware, trojans spyware.
3:"Avira AntiVir" Best free anti virus out right now. Low on ram and great detection, only bad thing about it is the adds that show when you update the app, but that's no biggy at all.
4:"Spybot search and destroy" Its a classic security app, but most people including myself only use it for its immunization feature which is great.
5:"Comodo FIREWALL OR INTERNET SECURITY" Comodo has the best firewall IMO. I have stopped using it after I moved towards HIPS products, but if they weren't around comodo would be my best bet. Now comodos internet security comes with everything you need, but can be annoying with pop ups from the defense +. if you not that well familiar with pc terms I wouldnt use it.

Everything I have listed is free and can be found at www.download.com

Once you have those apps you will have rock solid protection

AlexBlack

AlexBlack

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Im new to the forums and noticed that there was one question unanswered:

I'm re-securing my son's machine after an infection that you helped to sort out - thank you.

A question. The machine runs Windows Vista so has Windows Defender as standard. Will this conflict with another virus scanner eg mcAfee? If so, can I uninstall Defender?

Will spyware protection programs also conflict eg McAfee and Superantispyware, or can I run 2 (or more) at a time?

Charles

the most current version of McAffe also includes its own firewall (correct me if i wrong), which would indeed conflict with Windows Firewall. You can just disable Windows Firewall (since I havent found a way to uninstall it).

As for SuperAntispyware, since it does not have a realtime protection, it will not interfer with McAfee.

---

In my experience, I love Avast, and yes, the UI is not the most user friendly, and the warning beep when it finds an infection is really annoying. As for Malware, i like using SuperAntiSpyware. I used to use Ad-ware, then moved on to Malware Bytes, but neither one did a thorough a job when it came down to the scan and what they were able to find.

I would love to see what the original list would look like updated (though I know its a time consuming job).

chalao

chalao

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
well since u said that should i uninstall Avast! from my computer (although it already found some viruses and stuff like that)? Also what would get rid of rootkit or whatever it was call? i think i have one of those on my computer

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

well since u said that should i uninstall Avast! from my computer (although it already found some viruses and stuff like that)? Also what would get rid of rootkit or whatever it was call? i think i have one of those on my computer

Hi,
Yes, I would highly recommend you uninstall avast!. Its detections are not that great and the amount of resources it uses when set to HIGH detection is really bad and slows down your system alot. You would be best off downloading and installing Avira ANTIVIR, along side malwarebytes and superantispyware.
If you would like some extra protection, download Mozilla Firefox web browser, and (optional, if your using windows firewall and it working for you leave this) comodo firewall.

Ok, about the rootkit question.
Rootkits are some of the worst pieces of malware out today. They come into your system via a trojan, and whats worse is you cant actually see the rootkit on your system. They hide from you and can do serious damage to your pc if not removed. What they do to your system is blend in with it. They can edit entries all over yur system which is bad to say the least.
Now, for removing them. Dr. Webs cureit program can remove rootkits, but only in safe mode, and sometime even cureit cant remove these threats due to them being so well hidden.
If you think you have a rootkit on your pc, please head over to malware removal to get help.

To sum it up, get avira, malwarebytes, superantispyware and uninstall avast. And again head over to removal of malware so people can walk you through removing the possible rootkit :)

Advertisements

lttl.espana

lttl.espana

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When are you planning on updating this list, for so much has changed from 2003.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I would update it, just I dont know if users are allowed to without Admin consent.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Just because the original post was made in 2003 doesn't mean the list hasn't been updated since then. We edit posts like this to update them, rather than reposting. BMTHmisfit, you may not update this list; it may only be updated by one of the admins, as you pointed out.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
haha thought so :)

chalao

chalao

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
ummm i try 2 download avira anti personnal but it says some it is not right for my win32