Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I lose my mind every 25 seconds.

• Please log in to reply

carrieant

carrieant

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ON a Compaq Presario with windows XP. Every 25 seconds Ipconfig.exe runs and refreshes the IP address for this computer. I have taken my own very similar laptop into this wireless environ,ent (My brother's house) and it works fine. I have taken HIS laptop to my wireless environment and it works fine. Comcast is the ISP and has made 2 house calls which included changing the router. I have plugged the machine directly into the cable modem...same problem the address refreshes every 25 seconds. I reinstalled the drivers for the wireless card and this worked for a day and now the same problem is manifesting itself. When I have called Comcast they are COMPLETELY flabbergasted by this and anyone I talk to thinks it's the weirdest thing. I have run all checks for spyware and malware and have had my logs checked...we're clean. It's this house and this computer only, they don't want to get along. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I notice you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC drivers. Have you tried just putting in a new NIC? How old is the one that is in it?

Greazy Mcgeezy

carrieant

carrieant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I haven't tried replacing the NIC. It's the internal card that came with the laptop so it's probably about 18 months old. Previously they were using SBC DSL at another location and used an external 2Wire card that I believe was issued by SBC and plugged into their PCI port. They had no issues at that time. Hmmm, that sounds suspicious now that I write it. I'm not sure I know how to go about replacing an internal WIFI card.....

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
maybe the drivers are conflicting with each other. XP Pro or Home

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi carrieant,

What do you mean when you say --

Every 25 seconds Ipconfig.exe runs and refreshes the IP address for this computer.

Do you mean your IP Address is simply renewed, or do you mean that a command.exe runs, refreshing your IP?

When your IP is 'refreshed', do you lose internet connectivity? Network connectivity? Or is it just a quick refresh, with a temporary loss of connection, which corrects itself after a moment?

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

I would also recommend -- as Greazy stated -- trying to obtain a USB Network Adapter (from friends / family) and plugging it and then connecting through that, to see if you still lose connection every 25 seconds.