Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ms Word Watermark and File Size

• Please log in to reply

Bozo Smith

Bozo Smith

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I use MS Word 2000. I want to insert a watermark but I only want it on one page, not all of the pages. I'm proficient at inserting a watermark, and I tried using section breaks, but that didn't help. I add the watermark via a footer/header and then format to my hearts content.

Also, what is the recommended max file size for a Word document? Currently, the book that I'm working on is over 20,000KB. I notice that sometimes my system struggles with this. I run 98SE and have 256MB of ram and I clean up my computer and get rid of garbage frequently.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Heya, Bozo Smith, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The answer to your first question is no, I believe. As far as I know a watermark will automatically place itself on every page in a document. Even creating a separate, one-page, document with a watermark to insert will (after insertion) place the watermark on every other page. Sorry.

As for your other question, you have to struggle pretty mightily to get a 20mb Word file. My guess is that you have all manor of pictures and charts in there. I can't see why 256mb of memory would struggle with it, but it is a large document that's fully loaded into memory.

If you're wanting to reduce the size of that file, you can try inserting the pictures in other formats. For example, if you're inserting bitmaps (.bmp) files, the Word file can get very large, very quickly (I've seen 60mb Excel files because of that). Try saving them as JPG files if you have that capability (scanning or picture editing software should have it). If not, it's not a bad thing to have a 20mb file, just remember it's going to take forever to email it anywhere.

Good luck.

Bozo Smith

Bozo Smith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for your help, Guse. I'll scrap the watermark. My file does have lots of pictures and they are all jpg. I've been careful to keep things as tight as possible. It's a city history book, so folks want a lot of pictures and text, especially their own names. Thanks for your help. I love geeks.

Bozo Smith

Bozo Smith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Guse - FYI, I solved my problem. I inserted the picture onto the page and formatted it as a grayscale picture (not as a watermark), set it at 85% / 15% and changed the layout to be behind the text. It worked great.

-Bozo

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
save your book as chapters that way you are only opening the last one to work on

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Guse - FYI, I solved my problem.  I inserted the picture onto the page and formatted it as a grayscale picture (not as a watermark), set it at 85% / 15% and changed the layout to be behind the text.  It worked great.

-Bozo

View Post

That's genius. Never would have thought of that.

Nicely done.

Bozo Smith

Bozo Smith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
peterm - When I first took over the book, I worked on it as separate chapters and inserted pics, tables, etc. But after I marked all of the index entries, I had to combine the whole thing because 99% of the entries were proper names and I may have the same person referenced in four different ways. It was the only way I knew of to be able to clean up the whole index. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guse - Thanks.