Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking problem

• Please log in to reply

kcxiv

kcxiv

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have 2 computers and xboxlive set up. Computer and xbox in same room WORKS fine everything is ok. I have another computer connected to the router in a different room. Whenver the other computer turns on, it kills the internet connection. I have had a linksys router i thought it was the problem, so i bought a new router a Zyxel p334w and it still does it. I am assuming the problem has to do with 1 connection interfereing with something. I dont nkow how to fix it. Can someone please help me :tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
We had the problem with viruses loading the communication link, they just flood the network. check your system for any viruses and make sure you have the latest anti-virus patches.

Maybe that's not the reason but that's something I have gone through personally on a much larger scale.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check and make sure that none of the devices have the same IP address.

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
how do i do that? i am just starting to learn how to do all this networking stuff, i am a newb at it. If anyone could help it would be great. I was thinking it may be that they are aon the same ip addy. I had to port forward my xboxlive becuase it was having problems connecting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
im not sure how to do it on the xbox but on a windows pc if you open a comand prompt (run > cmd) then type Ipconfig /all on each of the machines this will show your ip address...if you're not sure what you're reading post the results in here and we will look at it

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
all ip addies are different from .33 .34 and my xbox is portfowarded to .35

Main computer is 192.168.1.33
Second computer 192.168.1.34
xbox is 192.168.1.35

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this might be a reach but check the port on the router that the offending pc is attached to and make sure it doesn't say anything like uplink or anything like that.

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry for not knowing, but how do i check on the port for the 2ndary computer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i mean physically look at where the wire is plugged into the router from that computer..sorry

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yeah, its all plugged in right.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and the port doesnt have words near it that say uplink or anything special?

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Could it be say msn messanger on 2 computers that causing the problems? thats the only other thing i can think of, the other computer which is my sister has msn on it, and mine is on as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no that shouldnt make a difference
unless one is configured wrong. turn msn messenger off on the other one and give it a try

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
nope, its a Zyxel p334w router. It was happening with my old linksys router. So i replaced it, but its doing the same thing. Has to be something conflicting to make this happen. Doesnt happen when i play xbox only when she turns on her computer.

kcxiv

kcxiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Or is there anything i had to configure on her computer after installing the router? i didnt do anything to hers.