Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

Reina

Reina

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am not entirely sure that this is the correct forum to post his in, but I believe my hard drive problem relates to Windows XP. Basically, my C: drive is running out of room, for no reason. There are no large media files, mp3s, or large programs installed onto the drive. Actually, I think the only major program installed on my C drive is Norton. Everything else is installed on my D drive. I scan my computer nearly every week for viruses and spyware, so I doubt that's causing my room problem. It's just strange, For example I cleared up 300 mb yesterday and today I only have 2 mb.

I'm suppose to have 13.9 gbs of space on my C drive, I have barely 10 mb now.

:tazz: Please, help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
My guess is that your page file is growing to use the space, which is normal....for whatever reason, it needed the space, but it wasn't there so windows shrunk it accordingly, but when you freed the space, windows gobbled it up

If you want, you can download spacemonger
http://www.werkema.c...pacemonger.html
and post a screen shot

someone may be able to point you in the right direction

Reina

Reina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ah. Here is a screenshot.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ur image clearly shows the that "~pstxxxx.tmp" files are taking up space. These are photoshop tmp files.
When working with an image, Photoshop creates a temporary file on your hard drive. When you exit the program, Photoshop usually cleans up these temp files. But if Photoshop (...or more likely Windows) crashes, these files might get left on your disk. These files can be quite large, especially if you work at high resolution. And if you've never searched for them, they could be accumulating and taking up your disk space.
U could safely delete these files.

Reina

Reina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks! :tazz: I deleted them and was able to clear up 5 gb. of space.