Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help - XP not booting

• Please log in to reply

johnnymorales

johnnymorales

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I know nothing about computers. All I know is last night I got a bunch of pop up ads all over the place. I ran spybot, adaware, and some doctor program. Anyway, I also ran an .exe file from the look2 site to get rid of the look2 issue which hijackthis said I had.

Went to reboot and now my computer won't boot. I get a blue screen with "windows has encountered a problem... 0x0000007B (0xF9678640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I can't boot in ANY mode. I did the repair function from the MSFT CD Rom, didn't work, also ran dell diagnostics, all came back as pass.

Is there anyway for me to back up the files on my hard drive w/o windows starting (maybe using dos)? Any help would be greatly appreciated, its my wife's computer and she has alot of family photos on there.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324103

the above page addresses your error, and it is a pretty bad one.

Given what you've said, and the fact you cannot get into windows in any mode, your options are failry limited.

I would try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console using the msft cd.

Beyond that, to recover your wife's photos your best bet is move the drive from her computer to another computer running XP or windows 2000 and copy the photos to that drive.

johnnymorales

johnnymorales

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the response. What caused this do you think? Also - how do I move the drive to my other computer?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what caused it...hard to say...the malware removal probably involved both registry and drive read writes and there is always a potential for problems.

with both computers off

To move the drive
a) open the case
b) ground yourself
c) unplug power and data ribbon
d) remove the drive, held in place with four screws

slide drive out.

1) Open other computer,
2) ground yourself
3)check your options
--if there is an open ide plug (the one the data ribbon connects to) use that rather than disconnecting any drives, and use the data ribbon from the other machine. You do this so you do not have to mess with master/slave jumper switches. Plug the power in. Set the drive on a couple of books so that it is not touching any metal (no need to physically install the drive). Power up. when windows starts, it will detect new hardware...it may require you restart. Do so. Then copy the files over.

Then wipe the drive, put it back in and reinstall windows.

If there is not an open ide plug, I would need to know what you have installed to make a good suggestion

johnnymorales

johnnymorales

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wow! Thanks! The working computer is a dell dimension 4400 all I have installed is a 3.5 and a cd rom w/one hard drive.