Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WTH am i doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply

Mandemis

Mandemis

• Pip
  • 9 posts
well I installed an old 60gb hard drive from an old comp to use as storage. When i goto boot the comp it just shuts down. So i browsed the forums here and learned a bit about jumpers and what not and made sure i connected em right. and wouldnt ya know it, it work. well sorta. when i installed my jumpers and stuff all i had plugged in was the mouse, monitor, and of course power supply. Booted just fine. So i was happy and hooked all my other stuff back up and closed the case. once i had everything back to where i wanted it i started the computer up and boom. Would'nt start up. fans kicked on, beeps where heard, then it just shut off. Had to disconnect the power fer a few seconds and try again, same thing, buzz beep shut off. So i unhooked all my usb stuff, and speakers leaving only the mouse, monitor and keyboard hooked up. Hit the power button and ding success!
So....Why wont it start unless i have all my stuff, including my internet, unplugged?
Is the hard drive perhaps too old or have i done something wrong that im over lookin? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may need to look into a bigger power supply. sounds like you're suckin too much juice

Mandemis

Mandemis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
will runnin my comp after repluggin my stuff after boot up hurt my comp? or should i just diconnect the storage drive till i get a new power supply?

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
^^^ Yes, somtimes running to many HDS can drain the computer to much that it won't boot up. Also you might be booting into the wrong hd??

Mandemis

Mandemis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well i am bootoing on the old hd the 40 gb one. the 60 gb is the slave drive. once the comp heats up a bit and i turn the comp off and rehook the 60gb hard drive it will boot but when its cold it wont. i have a 400 watt power supply. the 60gb hd was from an old hp pavilion i had that had the 60gb hd and a 30gb hd both bein run off 160watt power supply. So im not real sure what the prob maybe. Is there a higher watt power supply that i can get? i figured 400watt would be sufficiant. guess not:( any thoughts?

Btw thanks so much for the replies yall have been a big help thus far.:tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may have a heating problem. Are all your coolers free of dust? :tazz:

Mandemis

Mandemis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes they are all clean. I just cleaned bout 3 days ago. the entire system is dust free at this point. however.... I have only one fan at this point, well 2. the cpu fan and the power supply fan. i have 2 more to put in but can not seem to figure out where to plug em in at. Is there some kind of splitter wire i need or something? I have a K7 mother board m863g. Looking at the mother board i only see one system fan jack and one for the cpu. is there a way to plice 2 fans into one jack?